Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to reinstall the stock header pipes on my 74' cb360 and cannot figure it out. The pipes, finned locking flanges, the half circle keepers(4 of them) and new crush washers came in a box of parts with the bike when I bought it. I not 100% sure I have the correct parts for this bike. The problem is with the what I call 1/2 circle keepers. When I install them with the lips facing out against the flanges (in the groove) the flanges stick out away from the head so much that the stud ends are flush and the nuts won't even start on the studs.
When I turn the keepers the other way so that the keepers stick out from the finned flanges, I have plenty of thread showing on the studs, but the header pipe is not tight and can be moved in and out.
Sorry this may not be very clear and my terminology may not be correct.
Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be.
Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
First verify that the exhaust gasket, copper ring, is the only one in the head. It's very common that there is one or more stuck in there and when stacked the pipes won't fit. Use a pick or screwdriver blade to poke around, you should be able to scrape the mating surface and see aluminum when there's none in there. Then install the new gasket.
The flanged end of the 1/2 pipes goes to the finned collar.

·
Registered
555 Posts
^this. You may need to scrub away carbon to get to them, they can get real grungy. Also, make sure your 1/2 circle keepers are seated in the inset on the finned collar, or you’ll lose clearance that way too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts