Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for my first long ride of the season last weekend with my cl350. When I got home I notice one of the bolts that holds the exhaust headers on had broke off. Is there a good fix for this? What has anyone else done?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
marsvegan said:
I went for my first long ride of the season last weekend with my cl350. When I got home I notice one of the bolts that holds the exhaust headers on had broke off. Is there a good fix for this? What has anyone else done?

Thanks!
Broke off from where? At the head or along it's shank? photo? ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a similar problem (I think). I went to take the exhaust headers off and one of the bolts just broke off. Anyone know if it's threaded on the other end and if I can get it out?

·
Registered
363 Posts
looking at the parts fiche I say yes it is threaded, however that only answers part of your question... plenty of penetrating oil and if you can get some heat into the aluminum, it may help.. aluminum expands quicker than steel, nearly twice as much per degree increase try a heat gun in the port, should get it up to a couple hundred degrees with out screwing anything up. the biggest help to alleviate this problem would be using new exhaust gaskets nearly ever time the exhaust comes off, so you are not wrenching down so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine broke off about a centimeter inside the engine. my first impulse is to just weld something in to see if it will hold.... Even if it is threaded, there is not way for me to get to it with vicegrips or anything....any ideas? I will post photos later tonight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got mine out today with some heat and wd-40. They are threaded. I went to the hardware store and got a replacement but stupid me I got the wrong one. There are tools to remove them but I couldn't tell you what it's called.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were they reverse threaded? How easy did it come out? I think I am going to get an extractor kit before lowes closes...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Regular thread. Lefty loosy, righty tighty. Metric but I don't know the size yet. 1/4" is very similar but wrong thread.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
another option you could consider is, once you remove the broken stud, just replace it with a corectly sized hex head bolt and washer. just make sure you get the length right because you don't want to strip the threads out of the head

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
outobie said:
another option you could consider is, once you remove the broken stud, just replace it with a corectly sized hex head bolt and washer. just make sure you get the length right because you don't want to strip the threads out of the head
That's a good idea and if I can carry it a step further, take a minute to add a thread insert and improve the strength of the threads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts