Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a vesrah gasket kit, and it included two copper rings, which are labeled has "exhaust gasket" when i took apart my bike i didnt find gaskets like this anywhere. was i missing them? where do they go? sorry if its a dumb question.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
They go between the head pipes and the head. They crush flat when you tighten them down.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Yes, as said above. You may not have noticed them because they have a tendency to stay crushed inside the exhaust port. Make sure you remove the old gasket before installing the new one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i thought but i didnt know about the crushing flat part, thanks for the quick response

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
thrilhou said:
Yes, as said above. You may not have noticed them because they have a tendency to stay crushed inside the exhaust port. Make sure you remove the old gasket before installing the new one.
That's true. I almost didn't notice them. It was only the copper gaskets in the kit that made me inspect further. As thrilhou said, they were crushed to the port.

·
Registered
1981 CM400T
81 Posts
I know it’s an old thread,but i’ll ask here as a follow up to avoid opening a new one..
Basically,a year and a half ago our member Alan F. sent me 2 copper rings (among other stuff) as a gift..well appreciated..so i’m going to change them and while off the bike clean/paint/protect all the exhaust parts,especially the power chaimber as it got rusty..
Questions: first-the rings are flat on one side,and with seam on the other...does the seam face the pipes or the head? Logic implies flat on cyl head but not sure...
Second- is there any point to try to clean inside the chamber and mufflers’ carbon deposits with some sodium hydroxide or something chemical?thanks folks god bless

1 - 6 of 6 Posts