Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to clean out the inside of the exhaust?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's gonna take some sort of pretty strong chemical. Seafoam would be my first choice but others here might have a better suggestion. Why do you think it's necessary anyway??

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
63 Posts
if off the bike, try some sand and shake it up.. it has worked for me, but labor intensive. chemicals would need to be seafoam or carb cleaner to eat all the carbon.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
The head pipes are easy...I saw a home contraption recently for this very reason (albeit 2 stroke pipes). They got an old clutch cable and frayed one end. Then they attached 1inch pieces of coathanger wire to several of the cable treads. Feed the weapon into the pipe and attach the other end to ya power drill :eek: :shock: :? :cool:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Somehow I don't think sand would be a good idea.. :shock: Better to stick with just plain old chemicals, if it's necessary at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
It's gonna take some sort of pretty strong chemical. Seafoam would be my first choice but others here might have a better suggestion. Why do you think it's necessary anyway??

Its been sitting for a long time and I figured it was a good idea, the head tubes are caked with carbon. I figure whats the point of stripping the bike down to the frame, rebuilding the motor, gauges, wheels, seat etc and leaving the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Odin said:
whats the point of stripping the bike down to the frame, rebuilding the motor, gauges, wheels, seat etc and leaving the exhaust.
I used to think that too, but it really wont make any difference...

·
Registered
63 Posts
chemical methods take a ****-ton of it to make contact and dissolve everything. it's a tube with muffler and a spark arrestor but no fiberglass, why not put an abrasive in that can be poured back out?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
In my opinion, I wouldn't use abrasives because if any got into that engine and found the wrong spot to live, then it's all over in short order..

If I just had to clean it up then I'd duct tape the header end of the pipe and pour in my favorite solvent. Then shake, let soak for several days, and shake some more.

To each his/her own though..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This bike will be the death of me...
I've been cleaning the rust off the exhaust all night (haven't touched the inside) and thought I would see how my NOS heat shields looked... well they don't fit!!!
I bought the right ones for a 69 (like my bike) but the exhaust is from a different year! damn it!

any one want to buy some NOS heat shields?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts