Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really nice exhaust camshaft that I set up between my lathe centres with a dial gauge to check the lift and it comes out as 0.178". This is 0.005" under the service limit. Does anyone know how thick the hardening is on the lobes? I've seen other posts on the subject but no definitive answer. The FSM states that the exhaust cam is hard faced and when I've encoutered this previosly it's been quite deep and tolerant of this degree of wear, but with these bikes I've no idea how far it goes. This where a scrap cam would be handy to see how far it penetrates on the lobe.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
What does a new one measure for lift? I don't think I would toss an otherwise usable part over a missing 0.005" of valve lift. Are both lobes equal in height?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FSM give a new one at 0.1846" to 0.1853" - replace if below 0.1830" Both lobes are equal. A lathe tool skates acress the surface without scratching, so it's pretty hard but I don't know if the replacement limit is because of reduced valve lift or if it's based on the remaining hard facing depth. I'm inclined to use it as it stands but it would be really good to know the reason for the lower limit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts