Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two of the studs to my exhaust that are stripped. I can screw past the stripped part and get the nut to hold the exhaust in place. This, of course is not the ideal situation. Can they be re-threaded and a different set of nuts used? Also, if I decide to replace them, is it a straightforward procedure?

·
Registered
636 Posts
i would just pull them if you have enough thread to get 2 nuts on there, its easy, better than trying to cut new threads on there.

put 2 nuts on and using two wrenches tighten them to each other, then when you try to unscrew the one closer to your engine you should unscrew the stud right out of the engine. if you don't have thread for 2 good nuts, grind 2 flats and use your favorite wrench.

i do not see that bikebandit has the correct replacement, but you can get the same thing from mcmaster, just measure the length of stud, thread, and so on and order away:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#studs/=9qe0h0

i would measure how far they stick out of the head prior to pulling them.

you could also just buy a length of all-thread, and then cut that to the lengths you need, this would be very inexpensive, and you could perhaps pick it up at your local hardware store. the originals are a stud with both ends threaded, but no reason why it couldn't be threaded all the way...

get something stainless.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just as a followup.

I ordered "Metric 18-8 Stainless Steel Cup Point Socket Set Screw, M8 Size, 50mm Length, 1.25mm Pitch" from McMaster.com. $12 including shipping.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#92015a151/=ak57sh

The old ones came out easier than I expected. A slow turn on each with a vice grip and they came out cleanly. New ones went in with some Anti-Sieze on them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just joined the forum to figure out exactly what size stud to get for my 360. Glad I searched first! Thanks alot man!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts