Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new gear shift foot lever in the mail today. I worked 8 hours right after getting it.
The old one is bent up from being dropped. And it has been welded, from what I think is, a long time ago. It has been a constant thorn in my side to upshift gears.
If it works, it will save me from buying a new set of shoes. Since the tops of most of some of my shoes have been worn out, due to the sharp edge of the current gear shift lever.
Anyway, I wanted to share some good news. With anyone available. I may take pictures in the morning when I put it on. I will post them on here, if I do.
Hoping everyone is having a blessed day, as I am.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know of the best puller to buy to get my gear shift selector lever off my bike?
I've sprayed WD-40 on it. And rocked it back and forth and it still won't come off.

·
Sensei
26,354 Posts
Splay the clamp open by drifting a straight-slot screwdriver into the cut.....

You did remove the pinch bolt...Right?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Can you post some pictures?

We might be able to help you a little better.

Hope all goes well. Every time I touch mine seems things get worse on them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post some pictures?

We might be able to help you a little better.

Hope all goes well. Every time I touch mine seems things get worse on them.

Good luck.
Yes I loosened the bolt. But it is still sticking to the rod. I put a screwdriver to it and it still will not loosen up. I also sprayed it liberally with WD-40.
I think I need a shaft puller to get it off the shaft. Or some device like that.
It seems to be frozen. I can wiggle it and it does wiggle a little bit but it still will not come off.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got it off. But now the new one does not work. Because the lever will hit the crankcase. It needs bent out some. Any suggestions on how to bend it out?
Could I heat the shift lever up, with a map gas torch, and bend it when it's almost red hot? Would this ruin the spines?

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you have access to a welder? I would return this one and fix your old lever. They angle from the splined end is very different.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have access to a welder? I would return this one and fix your old lever. They angle from the splined end is very different.
I don't own a welder. But I asked a friend of mine and he seems to think that, a mapp gas or propane torch, would heat it up hot enough to bend it back. He is a very old retired mechanic that also used to weld.

And you're right I'm going to try to return the new one. Sometimes I don't think things through enough. I don't know why I just did not try to bend my old one back using a hot torch.
I bent it back while it was cold, just before it was to the point of snapping it. It still needs bent more to make it comfortable.
So now I'm on the way to Walmart to buy a torch, and a vise, possibly.
Thanks for the advice! Some of you guys are so good in responding so quickly. I know I can get help from you when I am in a pinch, on a simple project.
It seems I have so little time, during the day. Most times I don't have enough hours in the day to get everything done. But that keeps me from ever getting bored 😂‼

1 - 12 of 12 Posts