Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from California, near San Francisco! I just put a small down payment on two Twinstar 200s that a guy is selling on Craigslist for $500. I was lucky enough to be the first caller. Granted I have not seen them yet but I plan to pick them up day after tomorrow. One has some carb issues and the other some clutch issues...but in theory they both run.

This will be my first time owning a bike and I plan to do as much work on these myself as I can. I am excited to get them and will keep you posted!

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Steve and welcome to the site. It’s a great place with a lot of knowledge and wisdom but the members here are the best.
Feel free to post some pictures when you’ve picked up your new bikes. We have this saying “No pictures, it didn’t happen!” ;-)
It also helps a lot when others can give you some comments on things you’ve perhaps overlooked or just haven’t been aware of.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Welcome aboard! I'm in the East Bay, if you need an extra set of hands or a riding buddy once they run, give me a shout.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You're in good company here. New adventure awaits. Do you have any mechanical experience or access to tools, and workspace?
Some of us start out with just a bike and street parking, some are fully tooled up aircraft mechanics, but most of us are somewhere in between. Welcome.

Congratulations, you're caller #1.… looks good.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/1980-honda-twinstar/6759297175.html

That third bike might be handy if you're able to snag it too.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great score.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Welcome & Congratulations, on your purchase. There is a "Wealth" of Info & Experience here, that is available, at your disposal.
of course, as has been said, pictures are expected, too. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I picked them up today! Not as pretty as the 10 year old picture in the Craiglslist ad(haha) but I'm happy.
(I have more of a project than I was originally thinking, but Im excited)

FrisianWheel - got some pics below! cheers
HamHock - once I get one running I will give you a shout. Thanks for the offer!
JT - thanks for the link..very helpful
Alan - you found the cl link! nice. Last summer I built a 10x12 shed..Im hoping I can get one in there while I work on it and leave the other two covered in the car port. I have basic tools but I am sure Ill need more..haha
dtsmjr8dan and bill440cars - thanks for the kind welcome

1980 (carb issues)
80.jpg

1982 (clutch issues among other things)(Plated and I got the title transferred today!)
82.jpg

1980 Rolling frame
Rolling Frame.jpg

I also got an extra tank (rusty) and seat (bad shape) from the rolling frame.
Extra Tank.jpg

Reactions: dtsmjr8dan

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
A 10' x 12' shed doesn't sound small, but if your bike is sharing space with a lawn mower and a minivan seat it can quickly get crowded. Have you given any thought to some sort of bike lift or work table to wheel your bike onto while you work on it?
How about lighting?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the nice score! I'm a relative bike noob myself but I learn every time I fiddle with something. The hunt for parts, to me, is a blast. And I can wholeheartedly attest to the seemingly unending pool of knowledge available here. It's amazing and the people are great.
Oh yeah, you will drop some coin on some new tools if you want to do it yourself. Another fact I can attest to wholeheartedly :D
Spend about $30 on ziplocs of varying sizes. Bag and tag every little part and take a million and one pics to ease reassembly. Unfortunately, I've learned this lesson the really hard way. I'm flying due to having only CMSNL.com's microfiche parts list to go by as I lost all of my pics I took during the tear down of my scooter :( Google Drive is your friend. Good luck and happy hunting!! Let us know if we can help and post plenty of pics

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Alan...good point about the lighting and bike lift..and the other storage. I do have shelves on one side it is really more like a 10x10, then if you take out my bench the working area is more like 8x10. I can run an extension cord to it and was thinking about some shop lights like these: https://www.harborfreight.com/detachable-dual-head-halogen-shop-light-62565.html, but I am not sure about the lift. I don't think Ill have room to a table and a ramp, and would rather spend available funds on parts initially. (three kids about to go to college so this is all funded on the side).

I Ride...: thanks about the tip on the ziplocks...I think Ill get two different brands to make it easier to tell which bike the parts came off. Fortunately, all my photos are backed up to Google Photos...sorry to hear you lost yours! I have had that happen before..not fun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have started a project log here: where I am attempting to get the 1980 Twinstar running and hopefully plated.

Cheers!
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts