·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think it is a great deal for a mid-size bike, but a 'porker' at 529 lbs.
Oldgeezer, 529# is the dry weight for the GL500 Silverwing Interstate. That bike was equipped with the Honda fairing, trunk and saddle bags. This bike is the GL500 Siverwing. Thas is the bare (standard) bike and the factory claimed it at 456#. Still pretty heavy by our standards, but this bike is a mile muncher. This bike has a prolink rear suspension along with the teflon bused front forks. At 16,000 mikes I would expect the suspension to be in a serviceable state. I would be over there looking at it in a minute, but I have a GL1100 on the bench right now.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe - they're known to have alternator issues, and a problem there is usually a deal-breaker.
Bill, this is another untruth, I bought a GL1200 last October with a starter, charging problem for $500. That bike is the original Honda alternator problem child. After I took the starter out, disassembled and cleaned it, then took the bodged tailer hitch electrical connector where the alternator connector was and replaced it with 3.9mm bullet connectors, it is working fine. The PO put the connector in by twisting wires together and wrapped it with tape.
It is true, some of these bikes need stators replaced. Usually this is at 80,000 miles or more. Our twins would be on their third engine by then.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I had one and liked it;I installed a Plexi-fairing on it.
I sold it later and bought a Suzuki GS1100E because I truly wanted some Big Power,now I regret selling my 82' GL500 SilverWing;I was considering finding and installing the Interstate saddlebags,I liked the tail trunk.
The bike makes plenty of passing power above 7K rpm.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bill, this is another untruth, I bought a GL1200 last October with a starter, charging problem for $500. That bike is the original Honda alternator problem child. After I took the starter out, disassembled and cleaned it, then took the bodged tailer hitch electrical connector where the alternator connector was and replaced it with 3.9mm bullet connectors, it is working fine. The PO put the connector in by twisting wires together and wrapped it with tape.
It is true, some of these bikes need stators replaced. Usually this is at 80,000 miles or more. Our twins would be on their third engine by then.
Just sayin' - there are zero parts, and it's a giant pain in the butt to fix.

That said, they're nice smooth bikes to ride, though a little bulky to me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
On the CX/GL bikes we do what is called a "triple bypass". Open the motor and replace the
water pump seal, the cam chain and the stator. Not hard to do, and you are good for a very long time.
The GL series has electronic ignition and very few stator problems. Bad wiring and weak batteries,
in my opinion, are the cause of most stator problems. Parts are available.

Reactions: bilbikek411
1 - 8 of 8 Posts