Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

I found a real gem of a 1972 cb350 and have been performing a few basic new old bike fixes. The bike had been lightly ridden its entire life and well taken care of - although had sat for a bit over the past couple years.

While change the two oil seals on the left side (the pushrod and shift shaft seals) the clutch assembly cam came out as well. I re assembled it and had to grab a new #10 ball bearing from the store for the push rod end.

No other changes happened. Reassembled the case (with new allen bolts), adjusted the clutch cable / lever / adjustment screw as per the 350 guidelines and the clutch felt like it was pushing the rod. I installed the gear selector back on and tried to shift down into first out of neutral and it clicked but didn't truly get into gear. It won't shift up at all, only down maybe a half flick into a false first gear. The back tire will slowly spin while on the middle stand in this false first gear, then when put into neutral (confirmed by the neutral light) the spinning back tire stops. Its as if the clutch is never disengaging fully or the gears are stuck. The gear selector simply will not shift into gear from neutral.

Anyone else have this problem or an idea on what the issue could be?

Thanks so much and Happy New Year!

Zach

1972 Honda CB350

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 4.45.30 PM.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Zack, is this happening with the engine running? It sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. Assuming it was working OK before the clutch adjustment, the adjustment may need some more work. Try putting the bike up on the center stand and shifting. Rock the wheel back and forth to get the gears to align. This should show if the linkage is OK or has problems.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Where in LA are you? If close enough I may be able to come by and help.

Sometimes you can't trust the neutral light. Try above to see if you can get it and if not then feel free to send me a pm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zack, is this happening with the engine running? It sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. Assuming it was working OK before the clutch adjustment, the adjustment may need some more work. Try putting the bike up on the center stand and shifting. Rock the wheel back and forth to get the gears to align. This should show if the linkage is OK or has problems.
Yup happens when the engine is running or not - can't shift into gear. When you rock the back tire it feels like its in neutral - when it does that half click down to try to get into first it has slight resistance but not enough to call it being in gear.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Spoke with the OP, nice fellow.
He didn't service anything in the rt side cover.
From the sounds of it, when the lever is pulled the pushrod feels like it's releasing the clutch.
He mentioned it wasn't shifting smoothly before this.
I recommend to check the shift shaft mech under the rt side cover, and also service the oil slinger.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Back off the clutch cable adjuster until it's completely loose and try turning the wheel in gear.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
If the bike is on a Center Stand and you are turning the Rear Wheel manually and will still not slip into gear then you have a shifter issue.

This is a constant mesh transmission with no real synchronizers. The whole gear train needs to be in motion when trying to shift.
You can sometimes get it to move from one gear to the next while stopped but that is frequently luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts