Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

rode my 450 for the first time this season after well-documented woes in the big oh no? Thread and proud to say, runs like a raped ape? It def. seemed quicker than I remember. So after tuning woes I'm good to go and then....noticed my shift lever flopping while returning from down the street. Ugh. So...I am thinking the lever splines themselves finally wore, as I knew they would when I last mounted that part. However, I checked a parts fiche and there is a 34 mm circlip and a spacer, which I never had since owning it yet never experienced tranny issues, whew. How necessary are these tiny parts and what do you recommend?

I ordered a brand new shift lever but I am really hoping, after all these issues that my shift shaft and splines are not trashed because I gotta catch a break with this thing.....THanks as always!?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Glad to hear it's running good. These are old bikes to appreciate their oldness. Not w650s. But just as much fun in their old ways. Id say the washer and clip on the shaft are pretty necessary. I hope you checked if your splines were stripped before ordering a new one.

·
Registered
632 Posts
That washer and clip protect the oil seal from grit etc, and lock the shift shaft laterally. Too much movement of the shaft to the right can put pressure on the selector arm even disengaging it with the motor running, that could be bad news. 12mm external circlip from a local supplier and a washer large enough to cover the oil seal and you're back up and running.

Reactions: mike07

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah! I know from seasons past my shaft splines were just ok at best and so I made it a point to be extra careful while shifting. The current lever was merely serviceable when I mounted it, so no surprise if it's done. I have not removed it yet, gently prying these suckers off can be a task.

hoping to enjoy what riding I have left and then explore selling it, we'll see....as the wise ones here have said, it's not a matter of if something goes wrong with these bikes but when....I don't feel I have the heart to take it all on anymore. W650 in my future one day when the timing is better.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
refresh me, how exactly is the circlip and washer installed? I am thinking I just slide them over the shift shaft and finagle them into place with pliers and then attach the new lever, yes?
Funny, I never had any of those two parts but luckily experienced no shifting issues. I believe the easy shifting is one of my bike's strongest qualities. I did pull both plugs today and coloring looked good, though rich but it's better than lean :) I attribute that to a lot of the stopping and going on the short test route.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Although the shaft is not in the engine; with external circlip pliers it's really easy to fit:
IMG_2279.JPG
HTH.
Nigel.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. So no need to remove anything whatsoever?! Hoping the answer is a big yes�� Gotta catch a break this season....

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just have to remove the front sprocket cover, and gear lever to fit the washer and circlip. Clean the oil seal externally to make sure it's not leaking.. off you go again.
Nigel.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all good! shifting like butter and running strong. Felt more powerful than last year but I might attribute this to lack of riding....I did note I can cruise fast with lower rpms than before. :)
No funny noises, smells, shakes, or whatever. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow to confirm coloring. So, I think I may have a month and a half left this season. ha ha ha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts