Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a ‘67 CB450K0 and I’m doing some work on the front sprocket. I was looking into the hollow indentation of the shaft that holds onto the front sprocket, and noticed that there SEEMED to be what used to be a yellow-ish hardened layer that covered the metal shaft, but this layer now seems to be eroding away. I attached a picture so you can see what I’m talking about ... are the flakes of yellow material you can see in the picture apart of what used to be an important layer of some material? Or is this just loose debris?

IMG_4143.PNG

IMG_4144.PNG

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Agree with Tools, I have never seen a countershaft in any Honda transmission that had enough corrosion or rust that it was eaten through and the strength compromised

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
So Luke, I noticed this is your first post, we usually like everyone to post a little blurb in the new members intro section. Just to give us an idea of who you are, where you're at and what your experience level is.
Critical - READ BEFORE YOUR FIRST POST
These things are useful when it's time to offer advice. If you don't know how tight a spark plug should be, we won't advise you to split your engine cases...

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Thanks Luke, sometimes when one of us brings up writing an intro like that, the thin skinned will become offended and start name calling and even (heaven forbid) accuse someone of bullying...
It can get pretty entertaining sometimes.

Like this grumpy guy here:

I'll probably remove the first of these 2 images if anyone advises me to.
But the other is Our beloved Mr. Honda.

If anyone finds a photo of Mr. Honda mid-facepalm (and I looked) PLEASE message me.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
The grease and stuff in the middle is 'nothing' The missing bits on edges are pretty normal, particularly if chain has come off at some time.
Otherwise, it's age related stress but will probably still outlive your grandchildren

Reactions: longdistancerider
1 - 6 of 6 Posts