Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've done the cam adjustment according to the manual and it isn't nearly as annoying as last time. I even took the vavle cover off just to make sure the tensioner didn't drop and it didn't.

So i'm wondering if i'm over tightening the cam bolt or if i'm just plaing doing it wrong. The other day while the 360 was off i did the adjustment and made the adjusting bolt really tight. Started the engine and it was quieter than usuall. So i drop the locknut and start up and it got noisy again.

So I check my tappets, they all have good drag. Started up and used my stethoscope and sure enough its the cam chain. So my question is why does it sound noisy. When your on the bike and its running its a definate ticking/chain sound. What should i look for. I have a youtube video of someone's running and its like 1000 times quieter than mine. Granted he has working exhaust pipes but at the same time i can barely hear his engine opening valves. Any tricks or worn things i can look for?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Did you swap out the 34 year old cam chain for a new one? If not, then its probably worn.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
leethal said:
Did you swap out the 34 year old cam chain for a new one? If not, then its probably worn.
I did but i swapped for another used chain on ebay since i couldn't source a new one from anywhere :lol:

I didn't really feel comfy doing that but i couldn't find them anywhere at the time. Had i the list of vintage places now to order stuff from i would have waited

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something else, my tensioner adjuster is down almost all the way. The other i thought was sticking out quite a bit.

Would this tell me the chain has stretched a fair amount

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
leethal said:
Lee I think you were the luckiest CB360'er in the world for finding a NOS one :evil:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Another random thought....Did you fill the "ponds" under the cam with oil before re-installing the cover?...If not, the cam followers WILL "tick".....

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
oh I just thought they were not available from Honda, what do I know :roll:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
krukster86 said:
oh I just thought they were not available from Honda, what do I know :roll:
Virtually no top end parts are available for 360 from Honda anymore.
Very difficult stuff to find new - pretty much the reason I stay away from 360's........

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Can't a 350/450/750 chain be be used (or cut shorter to fit)?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
There was a NOS 360 camchain on Ebay a week or two back. Ya just gotta keep yer eye out. BTW I have a guy here in Brisbane that has a stock of them...valves also.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
66Sprint said:
Can't a 350/450/750 chain be be used (or cut shorter to fit)?
That's pretty much the assumption I was under..

GB :mrgreen:
My bad, I didn't know you could do this/thought it was 100% bike specific...

Any news Saki?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Assuming the 360 uses a 219 camchain, yes, you can trim a couple of links from a 350 chain and link it back together with a JOINT, CAM CHAIN (DK219) part number SKU: 14410-283-000 (CB450). Just peen the rivet heads after installation. They are still available from Honda.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts