Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to clean, prep, and paint the lower crankcase of my 360. What steps did you guys take and what products did you use. I would prefer to rattle can it if possible. Also is a high heat clear necessary after the base coat? Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Media blasting is absolutely best, but if you don’t have access to one, I got mine very clean with green Scotch-brite pads, a stiff bristle brush, simple green, and brake cleaner. No clear coat - nobody makes a high heat one anymore, and regular ones will yellow with the heat. VHT Universal Aluminum is the color I went with, it looks good.

Steps:
- Scrub all the crap off
- Apply Metal Prep & Etch - I use the blue stuff from Home Depot, and rinse at the end
- Dry quickly
- 1 dust coat of VHT engine primer
- 1-2 solid coats of engine primer
- 2 light coats of engine paint
- 2-4 additional solid coats of engine paint

Of course, follow the instructions on the can to the letter. If I remember correctly, it’s 10 minutes between primer coats and 30 minutes to apply paint, then 10 minutes between paint coats and all coats applied within an hour.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Go to my post on nighthawk update. I just sanded my covers, then steel wool and scotch brite. I used dupli color engine paint. Did what it said per instructions. They seem to be durable. Just painted my engine Sunday and it looks great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts