Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need the help of the brains trust. Picked up a project Bobber and have got it running but hot on the right side. This has happened after rebuilding the carbs and rechecking the float levels has done nothing. The only thing I have done different is it is fitted with a 145 main jet instead of the 130 and running pod filters. In my thoughts will go back to checking valve settings and timing. Any thoughts will be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
What do mean by running "hot" on one side? Do you mean its running lean? Is it backfiring? More info needed. You might need to up the idle jets as well.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^that, and I'd point out that the right side muffler (possibly both, can't see the other side) isn't going to survive long with it strapped to the rear suspension. Hopefully you've changed that, or plan to

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
^^^that, and I'd point out that the right side muffler (possibly both, can't see the other side) isn't going to survive long with it strapped to the rear suspension. Hopefully you've changed that, or plan to
I think that is an illusion caused by the camera angle. To me, the muffler is bolted to the strap that comes down from the fender, and the swingarm is hidden behind it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I guess it's quite an illusion caused by the accidental alignment of the mount bolt right next to the lower shock bolt location. Good to know it isn't going to flex with the suspension

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I meant by running hot is that you put your hand over the exhaust exit and one side is cold compared to the other. Checked the valve settings and the timing which has improved the running. Some more tweaking and I will have her on the road. Muffler is mounted to a solid point and not to the swing arm and appreciate the concern. It would be hilarious if I had.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It would be hilarious if I had.
Actually Bill, it would have been more sad than hilarious - because I've actually seen people do things like that in the past, not at all thinking about where they were mounting something, just the act of mounting it somewhere. Certainly didn't mean to insult your intelligence, but the picture created quite the perfectly-aligned illusion for sure. Still one of the more unusual exhaust routings I've seen though :D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Its been a few weeks have you made any progress on this one?

Hot exhaust coming out of only one muffler was the issue. Again not to insult your intelligence but to cover all bases, are you sure its running on both cylinders? Is there a crossover between the two pipes? Are the head pipes both equally hot near the head?

·
Registered
623 Posts
On a slightly different note, is that an SL front drum? Looks pretty dinky; okay for dirt use, but gonna be inadequate for street. I ran a CL350 drum on the front of my CM450E bobber- it was adequate, but not outstanding.
20180408_121346.jpg

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I would start looking at the ignition timing as well as making sure you are firing on both cylinders equally.
How do the plugs look? Compression readings are the same for both cylinders?

·
Banned
854 Posts
It appears to me that the fender is also mounted to the swing arm and is designed to more with it, if it wasn't it would bottom out when you sat on the bike. IDK but that's what it looks like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts