Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my CB 350 up and running about a month ago. When I was putting it back together I drained all of the old oil and replaced it with fresh oil. Prior to me getting it running, it had about sat with no more than 200 miles put on it for the last fifteen years. I'm going to change the oil here soon and clean the filter/screen, whatever as soon as I read up on how. My question is types of oils. I believe my dipstick says 10w-30 or 10w-40. But my understanding is that the clutch runs through/in/saturated with the engine oil. Are there certain kinds that you can, can't, or shouldn't use. What about additives? I usually put a quart of lucas oil stabilizer in my cars with each oil change in place of 1 quart of oil. Any opinions. It's a 72 CB350 with 7,xxx original miles on it.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
You will get plenty of opinions with a dreaded "oil" topic.
Some lists actually ban them. :lol:
I use Honda oil.
I know there are many cheaper oils, there are also more high tech oils.
Just always have had good luck with the Honda oil, I know that they dont make it so if I ever found out who does I may buy the generic brand.
I have also used diesel engine oil in some of my old british cars and think that they would work in a motorcycle of our vintage as well.
I dont use any additives in the oil, I do put some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas.
Don

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I'd suggest doing a forum search as this has been discussed pretty thoroughly here before without having resulted in any violence (AFAIK). :arrow:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a search. Unfortunately certain words are so common that "Oil" yielded over 105 pages of seach results, but" oil type" yielded 0 results. I tried it few different ways and didn't run across anything related to my question. If you know of a specific thread or better keywords I can search for it would be helpful :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It's generally felt that non-synthetics are best - other than that just use what you want and change it every 500 miles, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good. I used castrol gtx 10w-40 last time and I will use that the next time as well. I was considering some oil stabilizer but I will stay away from it for now. Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Someone makes an oil for engines made prior to - I don't know - 1975 or something.
I forget who makes it....keep searching.

·
Registered
19 Posts
dlslick said:
I dont use any additives in the oil, I do put some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas.
Don

I am with dslick on this, No additives, cept' some MMO or Sea foam for cleanup. Just Dino and change as you see fit.

P.S.- Seat looks GREAT Don, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Oh,,,, I see,,,,,,, you are agreeing with me because I sold you a nice seat.
I will take agreement any way I can get it so thanks.
:lol:
That is a nice seat and it deserves to be on a bike and not in a box in my garage.
Don

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
tbpmusic said:
It's generally felt that non-synthetics are best - other than that just use what you want and change it every 500 miles, you'll be fine.
Interesting... Bill, is 500mi the oil change interval you always follow for your 450?
I've been shortening the specified 1500mi interval to 1000mi...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
thrilhou said:
tbpmusic said:
Interesting... Bill, is 500mi the oil change interval you always follow for your 450?
I've been shortening the specified 1500mi interval to 1000mi...
Yep, all my bikes. Somewhere around 500 usually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts