Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Following on from a recent thread here, could someone let me know whether Castrol Power 1 10W-40 4T
4 stroke motor oil will be OK for my CB175 K6 which I have just rebuilt after a rebore to +0.75 inch
I am a little worried as no one mentioned Castrol in the recommendations on that thread !!
Thanks
voxy53

·
Banned
854 Posts
As long as its approved to work with a wet clutch use any oil that suits you. There are many strong opinions about motor oil but that is all that really matters.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
From oilspecifications.org

JASO MA and JASO MB classifications:

Modern motorcycles usually have the same oil lubricating the engine and the wet clutch. For this purpose most of the time the regular friction modified engine oils are not good enough. To make sure that the right oil is used motorcycle manufacturers usually require the oil to meet one of the JASO standards explained below.

The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system firction test.

In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3

·
Registered
59 Posts
That oil will work fine and is superior to the oils the engine was designed to run back in the 70s. About that overbore though, I believe you meant 0.75 mm and not 3/4 of an inch :D

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
About that overbore though, I believe you meant 0.75 mm and not 3/4 of an inch :D
Good catch - and yes, I'm sure that's what he meant. 0.75" is a massive overbore, better invest in Carillo rods... :D

as for the oil, the main difference in the '70s oil for our flat tappet engines is the removal of zinc in modern oils. I add a zddp additive to my oil, but I also use Brad Penn

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI All
Thanks for all the replies
Yes I am a knuckle head and yes the rebore was 0.75mm not 3/4 in.
I have had a look at the Castrol Power 1 10W-40 4T bottle and the spec is as follows :
JASO MA-2 (T903:2011);API SL
I assume J-T that this oil will be OK for my bike
voxy53

1 - 7 of 7 Posts