Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a second engine today. 1971 CB350. It turns over by hand freely but otherwise I am not sure the miles or anything else about it. Looking for suggestions on what to do with it. Take the top end down to the base to check it out and replace the gaskets? Leave it as is?

The PICS of course

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If I had a bike to put it in I'd do the basic tune up + carbs and ride it, see how it goes. Do a compression test after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea, it came with a spare set of carbs that will need a top to bottom clean. Something to do in the winter months. I just have the one running bike but ill try to clean this one up.

Thanks

·
Registered
960 Posts
Take the cam chain tensioner off and look at the rollers. I haven't seen one yet that didn't need all the rollers and the cam chain replaced. Some folks think that the cam chain slapping noise is normal ......

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noted ty. I see potential in this clean but so many hrs. Any tips on how to clean it without any toxic fumes as its inside the house for the winter

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ran out of time but its a good first pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
If I had a spare engine that I had no immediate need for, I'd completely disassemble it, which is free, and hot tank it. Maybe vapor blast it. If it looks okay inside, I'd hone the cylinders and put new rings in it. All new seals. Check the cam chain and rollers. In the meantime, I'd be searching for a bike to put it in.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does one inspect the cam chain? Other than seeing a visible flaw or crack in the chain how do you know its good or not?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaning slow but going well.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Carburetor

·
Registered
960 Posts
How does one inspect the cam chain? Other than seeing a visible flaw or crack in the chain how do you know its good or not?
After 40 years of tension the cam chain is stretched. It isn't like it is obvious though like a drive chain is. I can tell you that assembly with a used chain is significantly different than with a new chain.

I have seen cam chains stretched so that the points plate was out of adjustment.

It easy to split the cases, clean the bottom case, put in a new chain and seals that for me it is false economy not to do it. A cam chain is $40 and will be good for 20 years or as long as the new rollers last. One less thing to worry about and I know that the bikes I have sold do so in part because the cam chain was changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.