Honda Twins banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
The "starter delete" as you described it is fine ......
Yes, just the Woodruff key, rotor (minus starter clutch parts) and its bolt goes back on......
Both sprockets, the chain, the sprocket retainer/guide clip and its bolt can all be removed......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So...
I reinstalling the dynamo without the starter clutch or sprockets/chain/chain guide, buttoned everything back up and the bike kicked over on the first kick. Had to run the idle screw in a bit to get it stable but as I was letting it idle, i noticed two things:
First: Theres an intermittent tapping. Sounds like a screwdriver tapping against metal once every few seconds without any sort of rhythm. I stuck a piece of hose in my ear and tried (without much luck) to locate exactly where it was coming from and I would have taken a video to let you hear the noise, except for the second issue:
Oil is pouring out of the bottom of the case cover I just put back on.
...Sorry this is turning into a newbie debacle.
Any help would, as always, be sincerely appreciated.
-B

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
If you have an oil leak, you'll have to pull the cover back off again and find the cause. It only takes a small chunk of gasket material to separate the cover from the crankcase enough to allow it to seep out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Should there be a gasket behind this cover? The parts manual didn’t show it and I don’t think there was one in the gasket kit I bought.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I forget that the CA77 and 305s in general are dry on that side, so it must be that one of the seals involved with the crankshaft and starter clutch area must be leaking or need to be present despite the starter being removed. Someone with more knowledge on that will have to weigh in. The CL77 was starter delete IIRC, so maybe that's the proper blueprint for it, though I just looked at the CL77 fiches and they don't show anything to confirm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey guys,
I still haven't found a new starter clutch piece, but I ran across another sprocket (reportedly from a CA77).
Here's the two side by side. The one on the left is from my bike (which, as you can see, is flat on this side, where the other sprocket has that lip).

Then, as you can see here, the profile of the teeth is a bit different. I can't remember right now which is mine, but they're definitely different sizes and slightly different tapers.

Any clue which is correct? Or does it matter? Just wondering if this was some part of my issue.
Thanks,
B

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
I'm afraid your leak is my fault... the large starter sprocket is part of the sealing for the crank on that side....reinstall it and you should be fine.......Inner side seals to the seal in the cases, the outer seal to the crankshaft is in the sprocket itself.........

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gotcha. I appreciate the correction!
I’m still on the hunt for that cover that houses the spring/pin/rollers, but until I find it, I’ll put the sprocket back in place.
thanks,
-B

21 - 29 of 29 Posts