Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
72 CB 350. Im trying to post a video of the issue to no avail. The engine literally sounds like a squirrel got caught in it (squeaking). Noise is coming from the rotor in the points. It gets louder once the points cover is removed. The valve clearance seemed right when I adjusted them. She’s also running incredibly rich, basing that on the fact that if I touch the throttle it’s like a rocket took off. Spark plugs are also black after a few minutes of idle. I’m working on that but the squeak is what has me worried the most.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Is the wick that lubes the points cam dry?

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Two suggestions......

First, check for fuel thinned oil.....yes or no?

Second, remove the bolt at the top of the left rear engine stud and make sure oil is being delivered there.....yes or no?

Once we know those answers, we can proceed from there....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two suggestions......

First, check for fuel thinned oil.....yes or no?

Second, remove the bolt at the top of the left rear engine stud and make sure oil is being delivered there.....yes or no?

Once we know those answers, we can proceed from there....
Steve, I’ll check both out once in garage. Are you talking about #14 in pic below?

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Yes, but now (in pic) it's an Allen head bolt.....
You can phone for next steps while at bike....540-525-5199

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
One member had a squeaky engine when turned with the starter motor, and i think it was from air being pulled in between the carb boot and engine... And needed to be tightened or something. I think he removed the carb boots and the sound went away...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One member had a squeaky engine when turned with the starter motor, and i think it was from air being pulled in between the carb boot and engine... And needed to be tightened or something. I think he removed the carb boots and the sound went away...
If I could post a video you would see the sound is coming directly from the cam rotor. It’s almost like it’s hitting the bendy metal parts(technical lingo) and squeaking on its way through a part.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Sprint66 wants you to pull that bolt with the engine running to confirm you're getting oil to the camshaft bearing. It's the very very very first thing I do on first startup. I don't do anything else til oil dribbles out of that hole.

Edit: if no oil for like 15secconds then start to panic. Maybe try raising the idle so the pump works a little harder. If no oil then it's teardown time.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
First-off NO....NOT with the engine running!!!!!...(at least not yet...)... Pull the bolt and see if there's any oil already behind it....(end of bolt wet with oil ?)

Yes, I believe the cam bearing journal is not being lubricated, as Bill has so astutely deduced I was thinking.....

Now, just trying to pinpoint the problem's exact cause and location.... .No oil arriving leads to the possibility of blockage at or from the orifice at the cylinder base gasket..... Removal of that bolt should tell us how extensive the tear-down to repair the problem will become......

Were it my bike, the engine would already be out of the frame, and the top end would be coming apart.......

UPDATE.... Andrew pulled the head cover to inspect the points-side bearing surfaces, and we may have caught it early......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts