Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
Lastnight I finished rebuilding my engine ('72 CL350) and decided to put it back in the frame. A friend and I spent what felt like a half hour trying to line the bolts up, figured it all out, blahblahblah. Because the kickstarter was the main issue when I bought the bike (the PO said it was seized, when I stripped it down, I found no issue with the kickstarter, just a bunch of lose pieces of the decayed cam chain tensioner rollers that might've been jamming the kickstarter gears), so I wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with it. Gave it a kick. Sounded beautiful. Gave it another and the same. Third or fourth kick and I felt the gear disengage. Silent kicks.
When I was installing it, I noticed the internal kickstarter circlip was a little bent. I didn't know where to source a new one, and I didn't think it would pop off. Now I (think I) know; Knowledge through failure; goddammit. We pulled the engine after realizing what happened, I'll probably get to fixing it this weekend.

Since I set the cam alignment and valve clearance, and would rather not undo all of that, is there an easier way to address the kickstarter? I've read that you can lay the engine on its side and split the cases without messing with the top of your engine. Is that the right way to go about this? Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Put a blanket on your sofa and flip the engine upside down to split the case

Or use a milk crate and some 2x4 across it

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have not done it, but there are a lot of folks on the site who say the bottom half of the case can be removed without touching the top end. Are you sure the case needs to be split? The kick starter mechanism can be accessed from the right side cover. It might just be a simple clip. cmsnl.com appears to have all of the kick start parts in stock. Some parts are remanufactured. They are in the Neatherlands and shipping is around $20 for a small package. They are very quick to ship, it is the Dutch efficiency. I have had very good luck ordering from them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Doode I like the milkcrate idea. Should the engine be slightly angled?

@JamesPal Unfortunately, only half of the kickstarter can be accessed with the right side cover. I'm 99% sure the gears that engage the kickstart to the main drive are the issue, cos the accessible part is totally intact. But I'll definitely check there for the part- thank you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Put a blanket on your sofa and flip the engine upside down to split the case

Or use a milk crate and some 2x4 across it
Only try the sofa trick if you're single. If not, you will soon be.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
No need to angle.
1 2x4 in front by the stater motor area, and one in back and the top end inside the crate.
I disassemble everything in the rt side case cover first, and undo the fasteners on top before turning it over.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have not done it, but there are a lot of folks on the site who say the bottom half of the case can be removed without touching the top end. .
That is correct...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha, my couches are disgusting but luckily my girldfriend doesn't seem to care. I'll do the milkcrates method cos I live on the third floor of my building and lugging te engine up there would suck.

@doode @ancientdad So it's ok to have the engine totally inverted? I read somewhere that you should angle it cos it risks stuff falling up into the top end. Though, it might've been in relation to something else- maybe I misread? I'll give it a shot when I get home from work.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If anything is loose and falls into the top end, either you're not paying attention or there are loose parts that shouldn't be loose... :lol: no worries

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Just an FYI.
100% You can Split the cases and access the kickstarter to REPLACE a CirClip that has decided to go on vacation.

I have done just that.

Honda still sells the CirClip.

My dealer had it in stock so I assume it is used on other more current model bikes as well.

HOWEVER, I would caution against the complete upside down.
The loose parts "COULD" fall below where you could access.
I would go sideways so they don't fall past the Trans Gears.

When I pulled mine out and split the cases I did go 100% inverted upside down.
I found the parts sitting on top of the Trans Gears, and felt I had gotten lucky that something didn't fall between the gears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts