Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get a miss out of my 73 CL350 and can't figure out what is wrong. I thought it was the coils because someone had used a universal 12V coil rather than a good brand so I replaced them with a high output coil and still have the miss. Then I went to a Charlie's Place EI with coils and still have the problem.
I have had the carbs gone through, floats replaced etc. at a motorcycle shop and the miss is still there. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Need for info on this bike.

1. Are you running with stock air boxes and filters?
2. Are the carbs stock? Have they been rejetted?
3. Did you check ignition timing?
4. Is the battery good? Anything below 12.6V at rest will be suspect.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
One quick and easy way to tell whether your issue is fuel or ignition related is to ride the bike and at above 5K try closing the choke a bit and see if it responds better. If so they you have a fuel mixture issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything is stock, air boxes, carbs,jets, timimg set right, new Honda battery and fully charged. When you ride the bike it runs perfect up to 5K and then it is like a fish starts nibbling and continues to get worst. If you give it a little chock it starts to get worse. Bike only has 6,000 miles

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure what the gap is. I will get it checked. What should it be on a 73 cl350?
Is there anything else electrically that could be breaking down?
I have installed new plugs, high output coils, EI, battery. Thanks

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I am not sure what the gap is. I will get it checked. What should it be on a 73 cl350?
Is there anything else electrically that could be breaking down?
I have installed new plugs, high output coils, EI, battery. Thanks
Realized you said it happened with points(I assume) so the air gaps probably not the issue. I had problems with a dyna(similar to Charlie's place) that was out of spec. How long have you had this bike and has it always acted this way?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the bike last fall and rode it around the neighborhood but not above 5K rpm. Starts perfect ,idles and runs fine up to 5K. The coils and EI from Charlie's place aere brand new and just installed. It had the same miss with points and universal coils as it does now with high output coils and EI. I have it at bike shop now and he is not sure what it is. He said he thought it could be something in the mufflers causing a restriction or backpressure. I took him a extra set of pipes to try and haven't heard back.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I guess I would take the spark advancer off and inspect to make sure all the shims ect, are there and it's working. Could be some bad wiring too I suppose. From your description of it cutting out it sounds electrical to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The timing advance springs were weak and were throwing the timing off at the higher rpm's. Took the springs out and twisted them up a little tighter and that seems to have fixed the problem. Time will tell if that was it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts