Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, going to try to jam a couple questions in this one.
1. The bottoms of my connecting rods are discolored, I'm guessing this is a bad omen for my bearings. Is it time to split the case?
2. Accidentally gacked part of the block while holding the rotating assembly still through the small end hole. Is this too much damage to just shave off and reinstall?
3. Circled hardware in side cover was either previously loose or cam loose while removing side cover. What is this?
4. Trying to remove stator rotor, book says I need a balancer puller but I can't quite wrap my head around how to set it up and which internal thread to set to. Is there a diagram somewhere that I haven't managed to find?
5. Steels from my clutch pack have some surface rust. Many of the friction plates (already have replacements) were worn down to very little 'tread' leftover and are jet black. Are these done for?
6. Pictured are my piston skirts. Don't have much experience in this area, are the scoring marks evidence of poor condition? Is this a sign that the cylinder needs machining as well? And is there a way to recondition pistons and cylinder or am I going to need a full hone and fresh pistons/rings?
Thank you for any and all advice, you guys have been a huge help on the way to restoring this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
All looks good. Rods are heat treated. They are like that from the factory.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
1. The bottoms of my connecting rods are discolored, I'm guessing this is a bad omen for my bearings. Is it time to split the case?
**answered in reply 2

2. Accidentally gacked part of the block while holding the rotating assembly still through the small end hole. Is this too much damage to just shave off and reinstall?
**nope, clean it up and go.

3. Circled hardware in side cover was either previously loose or cam loose while removing side cover. What is this?
**it's part of the clutch mechanism that the linkage of the side cover pushes on when the clutch cable is pulled. I'd keep it with the side cover screws and such so it goes back in when the cover goes on.

4. Trying to remove stator rotor, book says I need a balancer puller but I can't quite wrap my head around how to set it up and which internal thread to set to. Is there a diagram somewhere that I haven't managed to find?
**there are threads here about removing rotors, the 'puller' is more of a bolt that is threaded in to the threads of the rotor, not the crank, hand tight, then whack the 'puller' with a hammer, then thread in hand tight again and repeat until the rotor pops off. I used a rear axle from another bike that had the right thread. You can get the killers online but must find the correct thread pitch in your manual. Alternatively a bolt with the correct thread pitch can be bought cleaner from a place like Fastenall or Grainger.

5. Steels from my clutch pack have some surface rust. Many of the friction plates (already have replacements) were worn down to very little 'tread' leftover and are jet black. Are these done for?
**Measure your old clutch friction discs, there will be minimum thickness specs in your manual. Steels can be cleaned up and scuffed with 400 grit paper.
6. Pictured are my piston skirts. Don't have much experience in this area, are the scoring marks evidence of poor condition? Is this a sign that the cylinder needs machining as well? And is there a way to recondition pistons and cylinder or am I going to need a full hone and fresh pistons/rings?
**I'm not very experienced here either, for a low mileage bike, you're probably ok as is. It depends on your goal. For a reliable runner that'll last another 40 years with proper maintenance, new pistons and rings, have a machine shop measure your cylinders to see if you can.use first overbore size or if you need to ship to second overbore size...and write a big stinky check.
Or lightly hone your cylinders and reassemble with the parts you have.
Or hone and new rings and new pistons.
There are several ways to go about it, one may be overboard and one may not be far enough. It depends on your goal for the bike, budget and your willingness to crack the top end open again if you didn't go far enough. I'm not qualified to look at your pics and say one way or the other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts