Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my scrambler I was told by the PO that this was a "special order" CL350 because it was ordered from Honda with the more desirable SL350 motor (both frame and motor are K0). Was that even possible? Was there any difference, performance wise, between the two engines? I can't see any discernable difference in the motor specifications.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have a bridge for sale that crosses the Hudson River up in Brooklyn, NYC.
It was special order too are you interested?

Really PO's will say anything.

I would seriously doubt it was possible to SPECIAL Order a CL with an SL Motor.
They were built in Japan Loaded onto a Boat and shipped across the Pacific.

The company I work for now import machines on an OEM basis from Japan.
They are a 6-8 week lead time to get the container from the Dock in Japan to the West Coast.
That does not include the MFG Time to fill the container.

If I remember there were some differences.
SL's used Cable Operated Slide Throttle Valves not the CV Type Carbs as on the CB/CL's
The Gearing was somewhat lower but I'm not sure if that was internal or just the external sprockets.
I think the intake port on the heads were smaller as well.

Outbie is the real expert on this.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'll take the bridge... well, once my check gets here from the Bill Gates email testing payout.

I had a friend in high school who had a '70 SL350K0 and they had vacuum carbs on them, just like the CB/CL of the day. AFAIK the cable/slide carbs didn't happen until the K1. Can't speak to any differences in performance-related stuff like port sizes or camshafts, and the gearing was probably lower... but the K0 had electric start just like the CB/CL and other than the silver frame and different rear fender mount loop, there wasn't much difference. 350+ lb dirt bike...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:-D I'm good on bridges thanks...

LOL - I never for one moment believed that old codger. I figured he was full of it but I did want to know if there was any engine differences since I did have an SL in my CL. :)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm good for bridges...but I do know the early XL250 Motosport had an SL designation on the engine?
That's interesting, Zeek - not one I'd looked at in my book yet, and I actually owned one in the first year here (spring of 1972). Can't recall ever paying any attention to the engine number but it was new, so I wouldn't have had any reason to. I'll have to look in my Identification Guide

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
When I bought my scrambler I was told by the PO that this was a "special order" CL350 because it was ordered from Honda with the more desirable SL350 motor (both frame and motor are K0). Was that even possible? Was there any difference, performance wise, between the two engines? I can't see any discernable difference in the motor specifications.
by "special order" he means the original CL motor was blown up so he "special ordered" any motor from a junk yard that would fit the CL.

first year SL motors were the exact same as the CL motor...same head, valves, cam, gears, everything. there were differences between SL and CL/CB but not the actual motors...differences were in carbs and sprockets and exhaust primarily along with cosmetic stuff.

the part number for the 1969/70 SL350 K0 cam is 14101-286-050...the exact same part number for the cam in the CB350K2 and the CL350K2

SL motors changed with the K1 as stated above.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Besides the other changes to SL K1/K2 noted above, the kickstart was changed to direct engagement, so the bike could be kicked over while the clutch was pulled in, even in gear (almost like an actual dirt bike).

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Glad to know there was no difference for my motor.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
since you are after new cases, maybe you can find one for a CL in the proper serial number range for a 69K1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts