Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO - I may or may not be currently on the side of the road going through the bike before I call a tow lol. This might be my forth break down in 4 years so just figure tradition.
This is the first ride over 1 mile in 6 months (taking out of storage)

Just re did the oil and filter.
New plugs.
Installed new front tire and brake pads.
Cleaned and polished the engine.

I'm running with the fuel that was filled in the tank with sta-bil. Could that be it? But it ran perfect up to this point, even felt strong.
Started up just fine and I made it maybe 3 miles away from storage garage and it cut out on me.
Over winter I let it idle weekly and took it on a loop around the block maybe twice.

I checked the plug gap religiously before installing.
Oil level is normal.
When I try to start the bike via kick nothings happening, kicking a dead horse. But when I try to electric start you can hear the bike putter but just not turning over.

UPDATE: bike sat for 2 hours now is able to turn over. But cut out once before all the fuel in the bowls are eaten up. Fuel 6 months old with stabil.

Here's a video(s) of issue:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
run it until it quits, shut off petcock and see if carb bowls are empty. If empty, pop the fuel tank cap, open the petcock and see if fuel flows into the bowls. If so, tank vent is bad.
It could also be a clogged petcock or filter if no fuel in bowls when it quits.
Another sign would be it starting up again after sitting.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Fuel check got it. How long of a sit you think I should allow it? 24 hours or longer?

The difference in kick start and electric start had me thinking it could be a issue with compression.

I couldve ruined a gasket by cleaning the bike with wire brushes? Was trying to be careful but never know

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Those other things would have prevented it from starting in the first place, not quit while running. Same way with the old fuel.

If it's the cap vent you should be able to start it practically as soon as you open the cap and relieve the vacuum in the tank.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
By cap vent to you mean the top of the tank where you put in gas? If so- I have a after market tank and cap it doesn't sit as flush as it should so doubt there's a strong vacuumn

-just took off the cap for a bit and tried got same response

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
were the bowls full?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Jim- still on side of road so don't have tools on me to crack open bowl drain and test theyre full, and bike won't turn over to let me run them dry either

Unsure if it'd make any difference but in winter I'd always run bowls dry, and before I pull out the driveway I watch the petcock for the bubbles to stop, telling me the bowls are full

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
No point in trying to troubleshoot until you get it to a place with tools. You still don't know if it is electrical or fuel. I would look at getting a tool kit for your bike. You might be able to find an OEM one.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Wait! Bubbles? You have a way at looking at fuel flow? That would tell you if you have fuel going to the carbs or not.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My petcock filter is clear, I can see fuel going in everytime I turn the fuel on. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
was it empty when the bike quit?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dont believe so, then again I wasn't checking for the bubbles that could suggest it was slowly refilling after I broke down.
But fact remains i tried to start after an hour of waiting and being as the peacock was full im assuming so we're the bowls and it still wasnt turning over. I'll post a vid soon

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Hopefully one of the 400 gurus will be along to get more specific on your bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bike sat for 2 hours untouched and now turned over. Turned my petcock to off and looked at the filter (which I had been mistakingly calling my petcock) i have between the petcock and carbs- tells me still fuel in bowls- yet the bike cut out. Started right back up for few more minutes . Video added to original post

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Bike sat for 2 hours untouched and now turned over.
"turning over" means the starter spins the motor. Was the starter not spinning the motor earlier?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turning over meaning bike turned on 100% ready to ride, sorry. Shown in video. I'm 85% sure that deep (bluhbubbubub) sound when you try to start the bike is the sound of the starter spinning the motor.lol. If so- that was always the case

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Well actually "turning over" in motorcycle terminology really means the engine turns over physically. It doesn't mean it's started just that it turns over as in it spins and is not seized.

Your second video (part 2) shows that the engine turns over but is NOT firing/starting.
Check the following in this exact order

1. Check that there is fuel in the carb bowls. Just because you see fuel in the see through filter doesn't mean said fuel is reaching the bowls. There could be obstruction in the fuel lines or your float valves could be stuck closed.

2. Check that you're actually getting sparks from your spark plugs.

3. If steps 1 and 2 both passed then spray a little starting fluid into the carb intakes and then try to start it. If it starts or sounds like it's trying to then you have a fuel delivery problem. Could be a blocked jet, improperly adjusted floats, etc....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
1. Both bowls getting fuel
2. Plugs getting spark

3? Under the the air filter there seems to be some gas in the compartment
20180501_183535.jpg

It's maybe 1/4 of a cup of gas in there.

Individual research is suggesting to me i have stuck floats or needles. I had the carbs cleaned less than 2 years ago so this is a bummer. Though I know sitting can =stuck parts. If i need to clean the floats is there a way to do so without taking the entire carb assembly off the bike? Can I get away with removing just the lower bowl halves while the carbs are still on the bike?
I have a bad left side (why this bike is a godsend) so wrestling the carbs out of the stiff rubber will be a true challenge.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Intermittent running problems like you are having are caused by an ignition going bad. When it gets hot, it quits. When it cools off, it works. Besides, when it is running, it is running too good to be bad fuel or a fuel problem.
TOOLS

1 - 20 of 100 Posts