Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a 1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler that I rebuilt. Recently it's been acting up. It'll start right up and idle perfectly but after riding it less than a minute down the street it feels like its bogging and then dies. If I let it sit for a minute, I can start it right back up and then the same thing happens another mile down the road. I notice it more as I'm downshifting ahead of coming to a stop or taking a turn, the engine itself will just die. I'm not sure if it is electrical or a carb issue, but like I said it fires right up and idles fine and the starter always works so I don't think it is electrical.

Any trouble shooting advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Ryan

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Just a quick guess based on your issue and the "fires right up" part: float height too low? (floats shut off fuel at a low bowl level, starving the engine of fuel).

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
2nd vote for the fuel cap vent. Try riding with the cap loose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll try checking the cap vent issue tonight to see if that fixes it. As soon as you typed that I started researching it and the issues other people wrote about sounded identical. I never would've guessed it could be related to the fuel cap.

Thanks again

·
Registered
342 Posts
Check the petcock, make sure it flows enough fuel. Check the in tank filter
if the bike has one. Do you have a bad fuel line???

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
What was the resolution?

In order for this site to of real value to all users please post your final outcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts