Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tore down my engines, the majority of the crank case cover bolts had to be drilled. I'm reassembling now and I ordered this bolt set from Z1 Enterprises

https://www.z1enterprises.com/bolt-set-cb350-all-ks-twin-cyl.html

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no indication where any of them go. A couple bags were obvious; set of three flat head machine screws for the stator cover, for instance. However, the rest is a complete mystery to me. Here's what I've got remaining:

4x 31mm
2x 66mm
4x 46mm
5x 41mm
8x 36mm

These are overall bolt lengths (including roughly 6mm head) rounded up to the nearest mm. Can anybody help me figure out what goes where?

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you have a Honda parts manual for the bike, it will give the length of each bolt with the part number and description. Otherwise, the parts diagram on CMSNL should have the same information.

Reactions: oupa

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I thought that was awesome help, now I'm back where I started. So, the right cover has 12 holes, the left has 6 for a total of 18 holes. The CMS diagram shows 8 of the short "#11" bolts and 2 of the longer "#12" bolts. That's 10 bolts, 12 holes. I found this eBay listing for "all" the bolts for the left and right covers; it contains 16 bolts to fill the 18 holes... What am I missing???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
This may sound kinda dumb but I just put the gasket and cover on and stick bolts in the holes. It only takes a couple of minuets to tell whats to long or short. If this helps the longest goes on top and fits into the upper case. the two by the kick shaft seal are longer than the others.Look at the shoulders on the side case and they will kind of guide you to the bolt length.
Any way it works for me.

Bill

·
Registered
755 Posts
A set of 6" metric dial calipers is invaluable in such situations.
Easy solution, measure all your OLD bolts. Take the list to Lowes or similar homecenter/hardware store and buy generic SS socket head screws. Problem solved, crisis averted! ;)
At worst, if there is not a local source you can usually get them online from Fastenal in a few days.

Your immediate problem, measure the OLD bolts for the holes your kit is missing parts for, go to Lowes...

·
Registered
49 Posts
thats a great chart there bigring911, I replaced all my cover bolts recently with stainless cap screws. sure, they don't look original, but they are so much easier to get undone without damage to the screw heads. went through all the holes with a tap first and then cut whatever screws were too long back to the right length.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you are using stainless bolts, make sure you use anti seize on the bolts before you install them. It will save a lot of headache if you have to take them out again.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
The other way is to install each bolt and see how much space/lenght you have to screw down into.
They should all have approx. the same amount of thread that screws into the hole.

·
Registered
157 Posts
@ShaneP what was the quality like on this set? I'm considering it as well. $20 shipped seems like a great deal if the lengths were correct.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
If you are using stainless bolts, make sure you use anti seize on the bolts before you install them. It will save a lot of headache if you have to take them out again.
Just don't get any on your fingers, that silvery stuff is a pain to get off :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts