Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CM400E still isn't running, but it just occurred to me that I don't even know what it will ride like. I am curious about whether the running characteristics are going to be more like that of a single than a twin because of the 360° crankshaft and wasted spark ignition- it seems like it should be because the rotating mass functions simultaneously and there's only one power stroke at a time. Do most parallel twins have a 360° crank, or just some of these older Japanese bikes? Can't wait to get it running and get out on the road.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
British twins have most always had 360° cranks, some were relatively smooth running and some were real paint shakers. Adding balance shafts and four main bearing cranks, like the japanese did, helps smooth things out quite a bit. 180° cranks vibrate too, just in a different way.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^all the above, and the 350 and DOHC 450/500T Honda twins are 180° though there were versions made for domestic use that were 360° in the earlier days - sometimes you'll see "Type II" (type 2) on the points cover of a 350 but generally the older 350s showed "Type I" (type 1)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts