Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So This thing is really starting to get on my last nerve! I just want to put the damn thing back together and every time I turn around something else needs to be replaced!

Anyways I was told that I need to swap out all of my engine bearings in the case since I took it apart. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction to getting either a kit, or a website that has what I need? The bearings I have look in good condition and are just as smooth as they ever were but my buddies told me once the case is cracked I need to replace all of them to prevent from slipping a bearing and having to do the whole dang thing over again.

I could use some input from you guys!
Edit: Good Point J-T, but decaf is for the birds! So since I forgot earlier; I have a 1969 CL350 that I am doing a ground up rebuild on.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Sit back, have a cup of de-caf, the 350 gurus will be along shortly. It might not be as bad as you think.

It would be helpful if you would create a signature that includes the specific model of the bike we're talking about here.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Tell your buddies they were misinformed, then ignore what they told you and get on with the rebuild.

Ray

Reactions: dtsmjr8dan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ray. I tend to listen to my one friend since he is a bike mechanic, however he has been wrong about a few things regarding this build. I certainly have not seen any new bearing kits advertised, which is a flag since you can buy pretty much every other part on the bike.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I wash mine out w/ fresh,clean solvent(a running SafetyClean parts washer is best ;) but I don't have access to one anymore :( ),keep washing until they are perfectly clean and then carefully spin each one to 'feel' how smooth or rough they are..,then you'll know whether you need to replace them.I believe you need to order ea. one separately because I'm not sure if a 'kit' of good quality bearings are avail.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If they were Babbitt Style Bearings then YES you would need to do that. BUT ... It's a good thing these motors don't use Babbitt style bearings.

The Mains are way over engineered Ball Bearings and the rest are all over engineered Roller Bearings.

As the last post said WASH them out oil them up and put them back in.

Reactions: Bodacious

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Unless you left the parts outside to rust you don't need to change the bearings. You can wash them out and feel if they are smooth running (oil them before testing after washing out) You need to make sure all the locating pins and rings are installed and bearings locate properly.
In 30+ yrs working on these motors I've never changed a bearing because of wear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts