Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I recently bought my first bike -Honda twinstar 1981- and rebuilt the carbs, brakes, new plugs, cleaned up wiring harness (headlamp was on separate circuit lol) and basically scrubbed it down too to bottom (it sat in a barn for a couple years BUT still ran okayish). Anyway, took it out for a spin and the noticed that the engine is always going. Even with no throttle if it is in gear the bike moves and always revs high when in neutral or low gears. To stop I have to fully fight it with the brakes... but when I give it some juice it accelerates fine. I think my next step will be to replace the throttle cable, I think that it might be stuck or sticky. Anyone ever seen something like this before or have any pointers? I am very new to this so all help is appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply J-T! The bike does not move when the clutch lever is pulled, just revs up high, it moves when it is in gear and the clutch lever is released.
I have a PDF service manual, but I'm not sure if its factory or not.
Thank you for the link, I had not seen that list but I will definitely go through it and see what I can find haha

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just saw this post. If you're still fighting this, check to see if you have the carburetor pistons swapped (left in right). Easy to do and racing is the result.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The pistons that the throttle cables pull up (they have a tapered pin on the bottom). If you rotate the right side piston 180 degrees it will drop into the left carburetor, and vice versa of course, but the cutaway at the bottom of the piston will face the wrong way and when the engine starts the piston will rise and the engine will race like crazy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts