Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone had any experience with these? easy to clamp on? my main concern is how its going to effect my carbs, any tips i would really appreciate.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Here is a video of my 450 with shortys (think they were Emgos) mounted. They were on when I bought it but they were a bit loud for my taste. After I bought the bike I drove it 100 miles back home with no air filters and stock main jets but I don't know if that would be correct in the long run.

[youtube:6hakj63i]xg3si4Iysn4[/youtube:6hakj63i]

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You don't mention the year or model - put that info in your Signature in the User Control Panel.

The shorties will be louder than hell, and will probably require rejetting (depending on what bike you're talking about).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
72 cb450. yea those are the exact ones i was thinking. would they cause the bike to run rich or lean?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
monseraat said:
72 cb450. yea those are the exact ones i was thinking. would they cause the bike to run rich or lean?
A 450 may tolerate it, they're pretty forgiving.
A lot also depends on your air cleaner setup and your compression readings.

You just have to put them on, put in new spark plugs (which you constantly "read"), and see how it goes.
If it goes lean or rich, then rejet.

With all these Emgos, they install pretty easily, but are prone to leaks at the header/muffler clamps.
The stock 450 gasket is too big to use, so you're left to other devices to effect a seal.

I have the Dunstalls on my CB200, and it's louder than my 450 with Roadhawks.
The CB200 required jettting/needle adjustments and was a PIB.
The 450 didn't seem to mind, even with Uni sock filters.

The only upswept types I've seen were for 1-1/2" pipes only - good for 350's, but not 450's.

All available at http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

The 27" Dunstalls are fairly loud

The 17" reversed model is also loud-ish

They also make a 19" turnout type - it too is pretty loud.

Another choice is the RoadHawk, good look, quiet at lower speeds but get authoritative at about 5,000 rpm

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey i really appreciate the info, that answers all my questions thoroughly. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Another choice is the RoadHawk, good look, quiet at lower speeds but get authoritative at about 5,000 rpm
My last three bikes have all had these on when I bought them. On the KZ they are just like Bill said, quiet under 5000, but the sound changes above. Not loud or obnoxious but a nice angry tone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts