Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was worth a new posting.

Looks like Newtronic Ignition kits are available once again!

http://www.hvccycle.com/Electronic Ignition.htm

I kinda stumbled on it when I was searching for something else.

I was suspicious, so I sent them an email and Brad at HVC Cycle confirmed that the CB450 kits are now available as Newtronic was bought out by a new company.

Price is $225.99 + Shipping. For a reference, Bore Tech's kit for the 450 DOHC is $389.00.

·
Registered
659 Posts
No CB450 listed....I guess you would use the CB500 one ???

·
Registered
357 Posts
RicH2 said:
No CB450 listed....I guess you would use the CB500 one ???
They list the CL450, which should be the same as far as timing goes. I thought the 500T had the same timing setup, yet they list that separately :?:

Wish they had started selling these again before I put in the Hondaman ignition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The show CB 450 as 'CB450T'. The Newtronic part number is CKT-HO6A, same for the CL450.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
NorthIdahoTed said:
Thought this was worth a new posting.

Looks like Newtronic Ignition kits are available once again!

http://www.hvccycle.com/Electronic Ignition.htm

I kinda stumbled on it when I was searching for something else.

I was suspicious, so I sent them an email and Brad at HVC Cycle confirmed that the CB450 kits are now available as Newtronic was bought out by a new company.

Price is $225.99 + Shipping. For a reference, Bore Tech's kit for the 450 DOHC is $389.00.
Still twice the price as the Dyna unit ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very true that the price is higher than a Dyna kit. But once you have modified that Dyna kit to work on the 450, any warranty is void.

I believe the Newtronic was around for quite a while and, folks on this forum have been adapting the Dyna kit for the last few years. So, I'm curious if anyone on this forum knows what the technology differences are between the Dyna Electronic ignition and the Newtronic ignition? Is one better than the other - performance, reliability? Is installation easier with one or the other?

Or, for that matter, are there any advantages in installing the higher-priced Bore-Tech kit?

Ease of installation might be a real big factor, as I'm very confident that I'm a lousy mechanic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Newtronics equipment is optically triggered, hereas the Dyna system is a field effect transistor situation. Can't speak for the Dyna stuff, except it has a good reputation. Installed a Newtronics on a really low mile(1200!!) CB350f. It worked great. Smooth, clean idle; easier starting; no hiccups through the rpm range. Two things though; it seemed of delicate construction and the engine just didn't feel as snappy as with a good condition, dynamically timed and dwell matched set of points. Sort of a vagueness there, I know, but that's just it...the system worked well and never failed me. But it just wasn't.........ehhh.
I feel a 450 would be best suited for an electronic ignition, because of it's inherent "never quite perfect" stock system. Using a timing light, dwell meter and cut-away alternator cover to dial in the points results in a good enough situation for me.
The Dyna system is originally for a early Goldwing, so I'm wondering if the two advance curves(CB450 GL1000) are similar enough?

NE

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Both the Dyna and the newtronics ignition rely on a properly working mechanical advance, the advantage to them is that the have no points wear and as a result timing adjustment is a one time affair.

optical triggers will stop working if you get the lenses dirty or oily magnetic ones (hall effect don't care so much)

the main draw for using the newtronics is a bolt on solution, the best part about the Dyna is it all fits under the points cover, no external box.

personally if I were to keep the mechanical advance I would use a points trigger system like the honda man unit, It uses the stock points to trigger a power transistor taking nearly all load off the points and extending their life and adjustment frequency indefinitely. cost is 70 something I believe, you can make your own from a heath kit for less than half that, google diy transistorized ignition

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
ihatespeed said:
the best part about the Dyna is it all fits under the points cover, no external box.
You have to take quite a bit of material off the Dyna to get the cover on, but yes, once you shave it down, it all fits in there (no external box like the Bore Tech) and works great. I'm in love with my Dyna after months of fighting a set of points that hated me. It definitely took some modification out of the box, but for $125, after it's in there, it is a sweet unit to work with. IMHO

Installing an electronic ignition was like a successful marriage counseling session for me and my bike,
we get along way better now. :D

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Not yet. I used a mixture of Ronnys' and Rods' instructions in the thread linked below. But it seemed I had to remove more material from the top of the sensors than they describe.
I've been meaning to get some shots to share my go at it... I've been haveing too much fun riding lately.
I'll get something up here but it's not that much differant than the PDFs from Ronny and Rod.
Good info from those two.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4029&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10

1 - 13 of 13 Posts