Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to install electrics, I understand just enough to get me in trouble...

I think I've just about got it all figured out, but I'm a little concerned about installing the Charlie's Place ignition. Attached is a photo of how I've done it: two black wires out of the ignition connected to the two black wires from the coils, yellow to yellow, blue to blue. The black wires go to battery positive with a toggle in between to provide power to the ignition and coils. Does the electronic Ignition not need to be grounded? The condensers get eliminated with the points, right? The ignition system will now consist of the EI unit, the spark advancer, and two coils grounded through the spark plugs?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
... wish I could help, not familiar with "Charlie's place EI" other than some people like it due to the fact if it fails.. u can go back to points with just a few wire changes... I'm guessing the capacitors are eliminated from the circuit but left in place.
Keep us posted, I'm curious ..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they won't be left in place because I'm starting from scratch. I think you're correct about their removal from the circuit though.

Hopefully someone sees this who knows what's up with the Charlie's Place ignitions and can confirm that I'm proceeding correctly!

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Shane....Phone me...540-525-5199 ....to tired to type it all out, but you can after I explain it to you.....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
THATS why I love this fourm!!!
Not what the forum can do for me.. but what can I do for the forum...

Sprint.. that moves u up a notch in my book!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm reporting back from my chat with Steve...

My assessment of what needed to happen with the wiring was correct... The black wires from the coils get bundled with the black wires from the ignition, they all are connected to a switch, then fuse, then battery positive. Yellow wire is left coil, connects to yellow wire/top pickup on ignition. Blue wire is right coil/bottom pickup.

Steve also informed me that the condensers are eliminated when installing this ignition, and that the unit is grounded to the engine through its mounting bolts. This method of grounding is why you must never loosen the mounting bolts to adjust the timing while the power is on, the unit could become ungrounded and blow the capacitors.

Thanks a million, Steve. Hopefully the next thing you guys hear from me will be a video of a running engine!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts