Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out my bike has a bad ignition coil and would like to go electronic ignition. Does anyone know of one out there for the cb200? Dynatek doesnt appear to have one.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Charlies place do one that bolts straight on. It's only a replacement for the mechanical points, retains the stock advance and retard mechanism, but once the timing is set you can forget about it. I've run one for 3500 miles on my CL175 without any issues.

A bit cheaper, the Dynatek ignition for the GL1100 Gold Wing. This apparently fits, but needs some modifications to the supplied rotor. I've just ordered one for my other 175, just to see how it goes. Again, retains mechanical advance and retard mech, along with stock coils.

This is as far as my knowledge goes.

What would be nice would be a proper CDI system, with advance curve built into reliable electronics, just like a modern bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlies place do one that bolts straight on. It's only a replacement for the mechanical points, retains the stock advance and retard mechanism, but once the timing is set you can forget about it. I've run one for 3500 miles on my CL175 without any issues.

A bit cheaper, the Dynatek ignition for the GL1100 Gold Wing. This apparently fits, but needs some modifications to the supplied rotor. I've just ordered one for my other 175, just to see how it goes. Again, retains mechanical advance and retard mech, along with stock coils.

This is as far as my knowledge goes.

What would be nice would be a proper CDI system, with advance curve built into reliable electronics, just like a modern bike.
I actually just came across their site and saw it. Kind of pricey. Does it come with new coils or utilize the same one?

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Uses the original coil.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We need one of your awesome write-ups on this when you fit it!

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
What are the benefits of it? Besides just not needing to adjust points.
Not having to clean, replace and adjust points is good for me.

I don't think the ignitions I've mentioned provide a fatter spark, as a CDI system can. I suppose they might eliminate points bounce at high rpms, and of course you don't need a condenser any more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not having to clean, replace and adjust points is good for me.

I don't think the ignitions I've mentioned provide a fatter spark, as a CDI system can. I suppose they might eliminate points bounce at high rpms, and of course you don't need a condenser any more.
Sound like some worth while pros. I think I’ll purchase one once my issues are sorted.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I've just been reading on the Boyer Bransden website, UK made electronic ignition. Pity they don't do one for the 175/200 Hondas, they do do one for the 250/350 twins, and for some of the fours. CDI ignition, complete with ignition advance via software.

Boyer Bransden Electronics Ltd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts