Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m just trying to get some solid advice on this topic. Running stock coils currently but I’ve heard a mix of good and bad things for the electronic ignitions. I’ve heard the PAMCO struggles at lower RPMs and that these (EI), are more meant for racing engines. I like the simplicity of the points (once I learn to understand) and the reliability. Again, not saying I’m buying one, just want to see what everyone has to say on this topic. If I did switch, I’d prefer to get away from the mechanical advance.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Common Motor Collective and Boyer also have an EI.

As you say, ditching the mechanical advance is a bonus.

One thing to consider is that you’ll likely need to upgrade your coils, regulator and rectifier if you move to an EI.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^and you should spend some time reading threads on the many problems people have had with some of the brands and the potential solutions to those problems that have been discussed here. Those with reliable Pamcos love them, those who have not had good luck have sometimes found things to modify/improve to help the devices last longer under the conditions of an air-cooled twin engine with moderate (or more) vibration. You'll find a wide variety of viewpoints on this subject here, as well as a lot of discussion of brands, results, mods to the bike to help protect the system from our antiquated charging systems (modern rec/reg combo as middletons mentioned above) and new product testing of the unit from CMC. I'm personally not sold on any of the lower-priced units yet, as when I ride my bike I like to run it hard, out with the boys, and I know the etched-in-stone reliability of my points will not leave me on the side of the road unexpectedly... but that's just me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Boyer Bransden kit 293, new coils, leads, caps and does away with mechanical advance.

Been on over 2 yrs without a problem, set once and forget.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm with dad on this.. do some reading...
both arguments could be easily made..
Just remember if u do go with a E.I. Your charging system and wiring is good (possible upgrade to a new r/r).
Some e.i.s use the existing mechanical advance...
I'm curious as to WHY you want to switch? Is the bike running poorly?.. if so .. get it running proper BEFORE you install anything new, unless it is required.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've had both and prefer points. There's something about both high AND low voltage that destroys EI. I've been using the same cheap lead acid battery for years, which is the beauty of a Kickstarter on these old systems. A new Reg/rect and coils- definitely. These are 40 year old parts after all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to say thank you all for the advice and to answer the question. The bike isn’t running at all. It’s being rebuilt (again because I’m dumb and had the cam timing off). I’m not going for an EI to fix any underlying issues. I am just curious about switching from points, honestly, for the hell of it. I don’t know if that justifies switching but I’m looking at all the options while it’s being rebuilt. I do appreciate the simplicity behind the points but I guess it’s a new thing that I want haha. I have been reading all the threads on the EI’s and I’m nowhere closer to making a decision. It does seem that most complaints have been with customer service on PAMCO but I take all of that with a grain of salt. Another reason I was looking at switching is because (again I’m dumb) and installed the points mechanism on incorrectly and after a few kicks the back of the plate has some gnarly scratches (gouges) on it. Overall, I don’t think this is a catastrophic loss but while I was looking for replacement advancers and plates the cost was getting close to an EI. My main concern, aside from the loss of reliability when you’re stranded, is that I’ve read some of the EI’s don’t perform at lower RPMs. This could all be contributed to other issues but I wanted to see if anyone else could confirm or deny this. Thanks again and I love reading the comments! Sorry for the novel.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I have a Charles Place EI on (2) bikes. It perfroms excellent.
I am one who actually perferrs keeping the OEM mechinical advance.

I have a Pamco unit if you wouold like it.
I don't like how the electronics are mounted on the Pamco as individual unprotected components.
That and their "YOU CAN BEND THE LEGS on THE PICKUP SESNORS to correct an uneven timing between cylinders.
Really BEND the WIRE LEGS ?

The Charles Place has the sensor fully encased and protected and mounted to smal plates that are individually adjustable to the primary backing palte.
I may be wrong but I beleive he has been doing this much longer than Pamco and has and excellent reputation for service.
I visited his shop while on a business trip to LA and he is very welcoming and has a wealth of knowledge.

Just my $.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts