Thank you for the advice! I hadn't thought about getting a hydrometer, but that's a great idea. Apparently luck was on my side because I was able to charge the battery and get the bike running today!Why not get a hydrometer for a battery ?
This will enable you to top up the battery and adjust electrolyte levels via the rubber bulb sucker, and monitor the specific gravity and state of charge etc..
Specific gravity is called relative density, and distilled water is called De ionised water these days.
Electrolyte is still called electrolyte, the solution of pure white after and sulphuric acid, that's SULPHURIC ACID !!!
Read up on wet battery safety and charging, failure to do so could be quite "explosive" with severe burns risk, heat and chemical....
You have been warned !!!