Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - new to this - my first day registered. Have a 73 CL450 bought in boxes - want to make a cafe racer (I have no ignition switch or handlebar controls so going to work on toggle switch type ignition [no elec starter]) . Will have lots of questions, but for now, I would like some help getting the right kind of electrical tools. Good tools, good mind, good work - I hope to have 2 of the 3 covered.

Electrical tools - analog or digital ? - I have my test light (for old single BMW I used to have - R27) and my Sears digital multimeter from the mid 90's - just wondering if these will be good enough for my simple mind getting the CL back on the road or should I check Ebay for any analog recommendations anyone has. Any advice will be appreciated, electrical work is a little bit of voodoo for me, but lots of info to learn from - what a great resource this forum is. Thanks

Mark Hoffmanner in Muskego Wisconsin.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I prefer analog meters, and a cheap one from Harbour freight (under $5) works just fine for all I need......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and info. Harbor Freight had no analog available Today - but I did purchase a Mastech M7244 analog new on Ebay for $20. Now I have to figure out how to tackle the wiring (and how to use a new tool when the Mastech comes - love reading new manuals/etc). Thanks and what a great site this is - 90% of my issues/questions are already addressed. Regards.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Welcome Mark nice to see the membership growing.

My take on meters is that I prefer the digital system for most applications however I agree that there some applications where an AVO analogue type is prefereable for instance showing current flow to and from a battery is one good example and also averaging out peak voltages.

That said I was lucky enough to get a Fluke 70III multimeter. You all will be pleased to know its an American made instrument and can bu fully calibrated.

These are better to measure resistance without doubt. However its really a case of personal choice and what budget you have.

This is the best tip I was given and I do abide by it now. Always but the best you can afford, I have learnt that buying real cheap is a false economy, however you might think its a bargin at the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts