Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when i start the bike with electric starter it blows the main fuse. I can't ever seem to blow the fuse using the kickstart. What should I be looking at?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
solenoid, starter, wiring.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, come spring I will trace and check the wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Nooo!!!! Winter is for fixing, spring is for riding.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
Is your wiring stock or has it been messed with?

stock, the starting circuit only gets a ground for the secondary winding of the starter solenoid from the main harness...
id suspect a stray short in the right handlebar switch as a first place to look... sounds like your grounding more than the starter when you press the button.

Does pressing the horn do the same thing?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
With the key on, unplug the yellow/red wire at the starter solenoid and ground it to crank the engine, see if that blows the fuse. If that blows the fuse connect a temporary (fused)jumper wire from the black wire connection to the positive battery post. Operate the electric starter and see if that pops the fuse.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bike is stock everything. Good suggestions I will test this out when it warms up.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
incidentally, on a properly functioning electrical system, there is no current in the starter circuit that that passes through the main fuse. both positive sides of the starter solenoid attach directly to the battery...the energizing circuit ground yellow/red is the only wire for this circuit in the main harness at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts