Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1971 Honda CL 450 Scrambler.

Looks like a few wires were wrapped together to get the right flow from the battery to the starter solenoid.
What gauge wire would be appropriate.

There is a spliced in 30Amp fuse on the power.
What is this for.

There is no rectifier/regulator.
Do I need one?

The small bite clip, is my handiwork... thats just an accessory light.

What do i do????

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Don't know much about this model but the cable from the battery to the solenoid should be the same size, or bigger, as the starter cable. It's probably a 6 Gauge, possibly an 8. The higher the number the smaller the wire.
Need to get rid of the Scotch Loc's, the solder and heat shrink connections look fine

·
Registered
635 Posts
Plus one on LDR suggestions, and junk the 30A fuse for a 15A. A starter cable about four inches long with soldered 6mm eyes and red heatshrink wrap on the eyes should replace the white twisted cables. You'll need a reg/rec to recharge your battery safely; see common motor ad at the top of the page, they are a direct fit.
Nigel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need some better pics.

Could be previous owner already installed a regulator/rectifier combo? Whats bolted were the rectifier goes? Looks like something new?
happy to take more pics, not sure what else to show you.
the wire is a ground for my accessory light, thats mine. there is nothing there.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
happy to take more pics, not sure what else to show you.
the wire is a ground for my accessory light, thats mine. there is nothing there.
Take some pics of your battery box from different angles please.

In the pic you posted it appears to be a brand new bolt where the rectifier goes. Wondering what is in that space? On your bike, the rectifier and regulator are 2 separate parts. The regulator is bolted under the battery box. The Rectifier is a big orange thing you can see from up above.

I know the reg/rec all in one upgrade is usually attached in a different manner. I dont know how the combo is installed as I have no experience with the combo unit.

I'm hoping to pick up a 72 CL450 within the week. If I do, I can send pics of what it should look like. I currently have a 72 CB450, I could snap a pic of that tomorrow to help you compare if it helps.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
This is what I can see in that picture:

The lead from the +12V battery to the starter solenoid is about 8GA on the stock setup. Honda gets away with that since it is so short. If you make a new one be sure it is not any longer than it needs to be. This wire is not fused to the battery. Make sure this is a good wire because if it fails there is no fused protection.

The white connector looks like it is the alternator/ neutral light connector. There is a pigtail coming out of the right side rear engine cover. That crosses over to the left and connects under the right air filter. The bike won't charge without it connected.

The red wire coming out of the wire harness runs to the ignition switch. It supplies the main power to the bike, it should go through the fuse. The fuse should be 15A. When the ignition switch is in the run position the red wire is connected to the black wire. The black wire is the primary power supply to the bike when the ignition switch is on.

The negative side of the battery should connect to the green wire in the harness. The grounds throughout the bike run through the green wire in the harness. Take the tank off and remove the headlight. Inspect all of the wiring harnesses for damage. Post pictures. BTW- you don't need another bike to sort out the harness. We can help.

Make sure all of the repairs you make are good quality connections. Only use crimped connections if you have a proper crimper. Solder and heat shrink is next best to a proper crimp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I can see in that picture:

The lead from the +12V battery to the starter solenoid is about 8GA on the stock setup. Honda gets away with that since it is so short. If you make a new one be sure it is not any longer than it needs to be. This wire is not fused to the battery. Make sure this is a good wire because if it fails there is no fused protection.

The white connector looks like it is the alternator/ neutral light connector. There is a pigtail coming out of the right side rear engine cover. That crosses over to the left and connects under the right air filter. The bike won't charge without it connected.

The red wire coming out of the wire harness runs to the ignition switch. It supplies the main power to the bike, it should go through the fuse. The fuse should be 15A. When the ignition switch is in the run position the red wire is connected to the black wire. The black wire is the primary power supply to the bike when the ignition switch is on.

The negative side of the battery should connect to the green wire in the harness. The grounds throughout the bike run through the green wire in the harness. Take the tank off and remove the headlight. Inspect all of the wiring harnesses for damage. Post pictures. BTW- you don't need another bike to sort out the harness. We can help.

Make sure all of the repairs you make are good quality connections. Only use crimped connections if you have a proper crimper. Solder and heat shrink is next best to a proper crimp.

excellent!
very, very helpful post. thank you!

where can i find the right length 8 ga. wire to run? i looked at the hardware store.... 10 is the biggest they go.
i need to put a 15 amp fuse in there to replace the 30. i just want to straighten out the birdsnest.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I bought the wire at an electrical supply store, then the connectors at an auto parts store.

Just a thought.

Bill

I have never failed. I just tried a lot of things that didnt work. Edison

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Shoup89 - your pic looks almost exactly like my 1970 CL350. And just this week I installed the combo-rectifier-regulator. Very easy. Bought after-market from Honda CB350 / CB360 / CB450 / CB500T Rectifier / Regulator | Common Motor Collective

And fwiw, my former rectifier had an inline 15a fuse (NOT to be confused with the main power off the battery), and with the new rectifier just eliminated it. Also, the aftermarket one came with an extra black hot wire - which I didnt' need on the CL350 (see pic). Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Electronics Technology

1 - 10 of 10 Posts