Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a short a while back while the bike was disassembled. I put a fairly charged battery in the bike, turned the key on and got power to nothing. My question is NOT how to fix this. i can do that.

however, my two rear turn signal grounds are not hooked up, my tail light is removed, my head light is removed. The battery ground is good. The only other ground i know of is the voltage regulator(?) ground: its a green wire under the rear of the gas tank, and that is grounded

I did not check for power at the ign. switch yet. i WILL do that tomorrow
So my question is, do all of the grounds need to be grounded for a bike to run.

obviously the batt. needs a ground, but the turn signals and other lights?

it wouldnt make sense that the lights have to be grounded to have a running bike, but what do i know

Thanks for looking

-Dan from south jersey

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Just having a guess here...but would the little ground wire between handlebar clamp lowers and the dash assembly have something to do with it? I dont know what model your bike is but my CB360 has one.

Also...did you check the fuses? :roll:

·
Registered
363 Posts
the only things that depend on lighting grounds are the lighting.. as for everything else most of the important stuff gets its ground through the engine and or frame from the battery ground. the regulator ground only makes the regulator work. it sounds more like you are not getting any power to anything (did you check the fuse?) checking the ignition switch is the proper starting point, after that look at the power going to the vital components, IE coils. literally with the battery grounded to the engine and a jumper from the positive terminal of the battery to the coils the motorcycle will run just fine, everything else is for lights charging and electric start none of which are required for a bike to run. ask any vintage racer running a dead loss ignition ;)

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
If the fuse and ignition switch are good, check the 'kill" switch... It directs power to the coils.... (black wire, and the black with white stripe wire)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fuse is good. Just put a new one in. Tonight i will check;
1. batt ground
2. ign switch
3. kill switch
in this order.
THanks for the input gents. ill share my results later
gotta run and take an economics quiz..

-Dan from south jersey

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Batt. ground is good.
Continuity between batt. and fuse.
Continuity between fuse and start switch
Charged batt. hooked her up, and got power, only had 11 volts...but it was enough to turn some lights on.
Checked for spark - got spark.

Thanks for the help gents
sincerely
-Dan from south jersey

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
So what was the definitive answer to the question: "Do all of the grounds need to be grounded for a bike to run?"

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Nope, only the engine to the battery on the ground side (negative) and only the positive to the coils on the "hot" (positive side)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts