Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I've been away for a bit dealing with life. Finally getting back to my cl350.
When I last posted here, I had 0 compression in my right cylinder and low compression (like 90psi) in the other. The other day, I pulled the valves and found that my right intake valve was bent, the left intake looked burnt but I'm not really sure what a burnt valve looks like. Anyways, I have new valves and guides that I need to install this week. Since I had the springs off, I thought I'd measure the free length and found that they're all a couple thousandths under spec. So I have to buy a new set. I quit smoking in January to save money, and now I'm just spending it all on this project bike. Go figure.

Anyways, while I have the engine off and open I'm trying to take care of everything internal so I can get the engine back on. Might have to replace my chain and sprockets and do brake work, but that can wait until I've got the engine back together. The PO never used the electric starter, he wasn't sure if it worked because the starter button was disconnected and he said the solenoid might be shot. I don't really need the electric starter right now but I want to be set up to have it incase it turns out that I need it.

To make a long winded question short: does the engine need to be off the bike to replace the electric starter clutch and other components for the electric starter? If so I'll pull the rotor now and replace what I need to. I'm throwing $200 at the valve spring replacement and $100 at a new battery, if I can not drop more money on the starter stuff right now that'd b great. Ha.
Logically I'd think that you could work on the starter parts with the engine on the bike, but I think I read something somewhere saying it has to be off, can't find that source, wanted to confirm with you experienced folks.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Can be easily done with engine in bike.....Pipes will have to come off to remove front left inner cover .....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I can't think of a better way to spend your former cigarette budget.:D

Reactions: ancientdad
1 - 3 of 3 Posts