Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am rebuilding a 1968 Honda CL350. The previous owner disconnected the electric starter. When I tested it, the starter would just spin and make a little racket. Forum research pointed to starter clutch replacement kit. However, when I pulled the starter clutch, all parts were still where they belong, but I replaced them anyway with the new kit. However, while cleaning parts I noticed two cracks in the starter clutch housing. Can anyone tell me if these cracks are terminal, or if the material can be welded? The two cracks cause the housing to barely move, but it does move. I had replaced the starter brushes last week, and afterward, the electric starter would just spin, with no additional noise. That is why I went ahead and replaced the parts in the starter clutch. It started raining shortly after I finished the install, so I did not get to test the starter. However, the cracked housing is still a concern. I have a couple of photos of the cracks. I appreciate your sharing what you think..thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes, replace it. Just think of what 9500 rpm can potentially do in this situation. I'd rather not risk pulling the shrapnel out of my leg on the side of the road... in the rain... at night... on an unlit gravel road.. with trucks passing by.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Pretty much all of them: the spring, cap and roller are common.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts