Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit of a newbie here. I've had a '72 CL 450 since April and it runs great! My problem is I have to kick start it because the electric start won't work. This isn't that bad but I figure if the luxery is there why not use it? The starter motor works fine and the chain spins, it just seems like something isn't catching. Every once in awhile it does catch just a little bit at the end when the starter motor is winding down. I'm thinking I'll have to pull the alernator to really see whats goin on, but I figure I'll ask here before I start taking things apart. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I have done this fix on my CL350 and it isnt that bad. There are some sprags, I think that is what you would call them, in the starter mechanism that is supposed to catch when the starter motor turns the chain and then drop out when it is stopped. A one way clutch. Those are bad. They were still available from Honda ( at least Western Hills Honda in Cincinnati had them ). Take a look on their website or another website that has a parts breakdown and you will find them and the springs that you should replace as well. I know someone will be able to give you more detail soon. It has been a while since I did this fix and am having trouble remembering exactly what all it entailed.
Don

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch! I have just ordered the parts. At least I have an idea what I'm looking for now.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Glad I could help. I usually dont get a chance to anwer many questions because there are so many others here that are quicker than I am on responding I guess. Once you tear it apart you may find that not all of them are worn but I replaced all of mine. I dont remember the parts being very expensive at all. Did you order them from Terry at Western Hills? Don

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dlslick said:
Glad I could help. I usually dont get a chance to anwer many questions because there are so many others here that are quicker than I am on responding I guess. Once you tear it apart you may find that not all of them are worn but I replaced all of mine. I dont remember the parts being very expensive at all. Did you order them from Terry at Western Hills? Don
No I got them from a dealer in NY hoping they'll arrive a little quicker. Thanks again! Jeremy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts