Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

Has anyone used the EK brand heavy-duty cam chain on their bike? If so, what have you used to rivet or otherwise deform the master link? I've tried the Motion-Pro chain tool, a 'real' pair of Vise-Grips and a cold chisel and hammer. The pin deformed the vise-grips and broke the edge on the cold chisel. I'm at a loss here...

Please give me some suggestions!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I ran into that myself last year.
Probably not a "real" link of the right type.
Try ordering a couple from Honda, still available and cheap. That took care of it for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ejand22 said:
Hey guys -

Has anyone used the EK brand heavy-duty cam chain on their bike? If so, what have you used to rivet or otherwise deform the master link? I've tried the Motion-Pro chain tool, a 'real' pair of Vise-Grips and a cold chisel and hammer. The pin deformed the vise-grips and broke the edge on the cold chisel. I'm at a loss here...

Please give me some suggestions!
funny, I'm working on the same issue :lol:

I'm going to try one of those spring-loaded "automatic" center punches tonight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tbp - the master link is the correct link for the chain. The EK chains have a larger diameter pin than the stock Honda Chain. I don't really want to go through the hassle of removing the EK chain for a Honda chain at this point - although it may come to that...

Don - Did you have any luck?

Anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well, if it breaks your tools, it may be the "correct" link, but it ain't gonna happen for you.
Your link was obviously not made to have pins "mashable" by us mere humans........

Like I said, I've been through it - broke the tips on my $90 tool before I wised up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ejand22 said:
tbp - the master link is the correct link for the chain. The EK chains have a larger diameter pin than the stock Honda Chain. I don't really want to go through the hassle of removing the EK chain for a Honda chain at this point - although it may come to that...

Don - Did you have any luck?

Anybody else have this issue?

I started to, but it was a cheap punch and I flattened the point. If it was a better punch, I think it would've done the job though.

I ended up borrowing a really big set of channel locks from work, squeezed, and deformed the pin enough that its not going to go anywhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really?! I tried that with the biggest set of pliers I had and it did nothing! Now I'm not one to brag, but I'm not a weak man...

Crap!

I really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Personally I'd try a little localized heat. Maybe heat the pins on the tips, then hurry and insert it onto the chain, and then press it. Nothing too extreme, like cherry red, but more along the lines of how hot the engine would get under normal operating temps in the summer.. As long as you don't get it overly hot then it shouldn't make the chain pins brittle.

A second set of hands and some magnetized pliers would help greatly to quickly assemble the warm parts, I'd say...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
145 Posts
ejand22 said:
Really?! I tried that with the biggest set of pliers I had and it did nothing! Now I'm not one to brag, but I'm not a weak man...

Crap!

I really don't know what to do.

I'm not a big guy, but I'm angry :lol:

really though, these were some pretty big pliers...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not familiar with the EK chain, but my technique for peening link pins is to have someone hold an "anvil" against the pin on one side - I have a broken truck torsion bar about 2½ feet long and the flat end of that works quite well - and I punch the other end with whatever seems appropriate. Pins with a dimple in the centre are easiest, but you get what you get. As far as replacing the chain, position the cams so all valves are closed, attach the replacement chain to the one in place and feed it carefully through the motor, then time the valves. The cam chains on these bikes are really a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I think I've gotten it malformed enough to not pop off. All it took was... two hammers, a shop clamp and a steel punch. I positioned the one hammer on the factory peened end of the master link and held it in place with the shop clamp, then proceded to beat the other side with the punch and second hammer. It looks like a factory peen, so I'm guessing it will do.

We'll see what happens when I fire it up for the first time! ha ha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts