Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I really can't answer that. the only way is to try and see.....
The charging system is pretty marginal, even when it was new.
And everything you add will run directly off the battery - the alternator has nothing to do with actually running things, it just charges the battery (or not, many times).

Interesting though - keep us posted........

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It might just be possible to have an old 450 stator rewound with modern day wiring and newer components throughout, thus saving energy throughout the entire bike. There are a lot of companies out there that wind stators for increased output and one can usually gain 50-100 watts by a good quality re-wind..

Mix that with everything else on the bike being LEDs, a modern rectifier, regulator, and it might be possible indeed.. Anything's possible, it just comes down to how much you want to spend.

Like Bill said, keep us posted as to what you decide.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I am definitely not the expert on things electrical but volts is one thing but amps is the key. I think you need to know how may of those A things everything combined on the bike will take and make sure the battery is big enough and then that the charging system can keep up with the draw from the battery.
Right ???? :roll:
Don

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
dlslick said:
I am definitely not the expert on things electrical but volts is one thing but amps is the key. I think you need to know how may of those A things everything combined on the bike will take and make sure the battery is big enough and then that the charging system can keep up with the draw from the battery.
Don
Yeah, what he said........

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dlslick said:
Don
you got it.

I might experiment and load up the electrical on my blue one to see where the charging system stops keeping up. I pretty much have a general idea on where I can source the other hardware, but I need to check into what a rewind will take.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
I have a friend who replaced the stock rotor with a pulley, Made a seal plate, and runs a "Kubota" tractor alternator off it... Plenty of juice.....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Rod - you have it mostly right.
Except I've never seen any 450 (or 350) deliver 8 amps charging.
Four amps or so is more realistic.........

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts