Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken the engine covers off to polish them and to paint the rest of the engine but I can't seem to get the oil filter off!? What am I doing wrong? I have the snap ring out but it won't slide off. Do I need a special tool? I flipped though my manual and they don't say anything about a special tool so I figured I'd ask the experts here. Like I said, easy answer, I just don't know it...

1970 CB450

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 1974 CB450. I got the snap ring out, but the center "basket" part (in front of the nut) won't move. Does it just pull out? Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You guys are talking about the end piece, not the rotator it's self right? It is being held in by the o rings, in the centre there is an M6 thread, down in side a little ways. I use an old crank case screw off a Z50, which is the right length and screw it in, then you have got something to lever off to get the bugger out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is where I am. Am I understanding correct that there is a screw down inside the center and that is why it won't slide off? Seems kinda silly to be having this much trouble with an oil filter but oh well...

·
Registered
30 Posts
It won't come because the of the O ring. It will move abit and the O ring will sit in the circlip groove, you will need to lever it right out. Put the screw in, get a flat blade screw driver under the head, lever away and it will pop out - mine does take a little force.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Or, you could just tighten the screw in and it will lift the cap out.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
nathanhouse said:
This is where I am. Am I understanding correct that there is a screw down inside the center and that is why it won't slide off? Seems kinda silly to be having this much trouble with an oil filter but oh well...

There is not a screw inside, but a place to insert a screw. As hem-man said, a crankcase screw works well inserted into the hole and pull straight out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i got the little cap off. I wasn't sure why it wouldn't just pull out but now that it's out I can see what everybody has been saying. Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably have more questions before too long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got mine out tonight. It was a little crustier looking than Nathan's. I put a long screw with a couple of flat washers on it through the hole at the end of a 24" crescent wrench. I used a thick block of wood against the engine case, then a handle from a bottle jack on top of that for the wrench to pivot on (the fulcrum). It wouldn't come out with me just pushing down on the wrench, so I used a large hammer to beat on the wrench a few times, and it finally popped out. That was more of an ordeal than I expected. Now if I had the filter tool, I'd be in business! :)

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
IF you just continue to INSERT the bolt, it pushes against the end of the shaft and the center is lifted out as you tighten the bolt in.... THAT'S what the threads are for.... External leverage is NOT required......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
IF you just continue to INSERT the bolt, it pushes against the end of the shaft and the center is lifted out as you tighten the bolt in.... THAT'S what the threads are for.... External leverage is NOT required......
Yup, what Sprint said. Just make sure you have a long bolt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts