Honda Twins banner

Easier quicker oil changes on bikes without oil filter covers.

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Simo 
#1 ·
I have a 1974 CB200. In order to properly change the oil and clean the filter you have to remove the exhaust, kick starter and entire motor side cover. This seems ridiculous. The 350 and many of the other CB bikes all have oil filter covers on the main side cover. They can be removed with 3 simple bolts to get to the oil filter for cleaning. I'm considering picking up a used cb350 oil filter cover and machining a hole in the side of my main cover that is right in line with the filter. It's possible that the 350 cover is to large and in that case I would make a cover from scratch out of aluminum and cut my own gaskets for it. Anyone ever done this? Sure would make oil changes easy.

#3 · (Edited)
I always wondered why Honda did that on the 200, but we're talking about some serious engineering to get things exactly right to accommodate the oiling needs of the top end. If your transfer valve isn't right, the top end of the engine will be the first thing to suffer - cam and bearing caps get destroyed quickly even with all OEM parts in the area at times. Doesn't take much to upset the proper operation

#5 ·
The easy option is just put a cb175 engine in. It has what you want, is bolt on, and higher Hp ( 2Hp). If you're set on it being a 200, modify a cb175 right hand side cover, it fits the cb200 cases, all the oiling is the same( at that part of the engine), it has a removable oil spinner cover, you'll need to build a clutch pull as the cb175 has them on the left cb200 on the right

#6 ·
That's very interesting. I was not aware that a 175 cover would perfectly fit the cb200. Have you seen it done as proof? I also wasn't aware that a 175 engine would swap right in. It takes the exact same mounting plates and bolts? Also, and this is wondering off topic, but if the 175 engine is more powerful shouldn't the cb200 be made to be more powerful than the 175 with different carbs, etc?

Yeah this was just an incredibly loose idea at the moment. I hadn't actually taken a real good look at the backside of the cb200 cover to see if it would be viable. I was prepared to be told that it would not work.

I'm pretty new to the forum and somewhat new to working on bikes so thanks for the responses guys.

#7 ·
If it helps, here's a photo of one of my 175 engines:

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Clutch Vehicle

And my CB200 engine, oil spinner removed.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Automotive tire Vehicle

Clutch actuation is the biggest difference. On the 175, clutch is lifted via a pushrod coming in from the gearbox sprocket side of the engine. On the 200, the clutch is lifted by the cam mechanism built into the right hand outer cover.

Power outputs. From what I found riding both 175 and 200 back in the day, top speed and acceleration were pretty much identical, just that the 175 was a revvier engine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.