Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the CB200 has a tendency to blow out lots of oil when you try to time the ignition with a timing light and the flywheel cover removed. When I first bought my CB200 it had very low compression so I thought that it was caused by piston blowby. I now have new rings and perfect compression but unfortunately, it kept blowing out oil when I tried to time it. As a result, I always timed it statically by measuring when the points open with a multimeter.

I recently came across a cheap spare flywheel cover so I sacrificed it and made a small window in it to time the engine. This works perfectly! No more splashing and I was able to get the timing spot on.

20180415_135845.jpg !

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Oh sh*t!!! I'll all about that!!
Now.. who has a cb450dohc cover they want to GIVE AWAY!! :)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Now.. who has a cb450dohc cover they want to GIVE AWAY!! :)
I think I was lucky enough to be there when the most recent one was given away... it has a piece of soda can JB Welded on it to cover a shifter crack and of course, it isn't where it can be used for the timing opening - but no matter, it was free! and thanks to lonn711 for his generosity :D

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Here's one I made earlier. CB200 part, but fits the 175 engine as well.

I did make up a little cover so that the cover could be run on the bike, but it looked ugly (and leaked oil :( ) so I didn't bother. Works fine with my cheap strobe light, which is OK up to around 5K rpm, stops flashing at higher rpms, not an issue as full advance happens well before then.

DSCF2425.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Honda made a specific SERVICE PART TOOL for this exact purpose.
It is shown in the 350 FSM with the other special service tools.

·
Registered
69 Posts
these are great hacks! I usually just call a friend or lean the bike against a wall if I need to time it. There is still a little spill but most oil just sloshes to the other side of the case. I'll have to give the window cut out a whirl.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have noticed that the CB200 has a tendency to blow out lots of oil when you try to time the ignition with a timing light and the flywheel cover removed. When I first bought my CB200 it had very low compression so I thought that it was caused by piston blowby. I now have new rings and perfect compression but unfortunately, it kept blowing out oil when I tried to time it. As a result, I always timed it statically by measuring when the points open with a multimeter.

I recently came across a cheap spare flywheel cover so I sacrificed it and made a small window in it to time the engine. This works perfectly! No more splashing and I was able to get the timing spot on.

View attachment 264666 !
How is the bike running now that it is timed? Sometimes riding cna loosen up the rings.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it rides okay... still some minor carb adjustments but I think I have it sorted now. I found out that I have CL200 carbs and they need different settings. I have been fiddling with that for a while now. The bike now tops out at 130kmh on the speedo with me (87kg) on it. That's about what I expect from it. I don't think they go much faster than that.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
80 mph ?

That's pretty good. I'm a bit lighter than you, and neither of mine do much more than 70 mph. I have seen a magazine road test that claimed 87mph, but that would be with the rider prone, in race leathers.

EDIT Back in the day, on my new CB175K6, a much skinnier version of me could see 80 on the speedo by lying on the tank and holding the left fork leg. I fell off whilst doing this ….

A new CB200 had identical performance to my K6, same results when riders swapped bikes.

Another lad claimed 97mph on his K4, but I put that down to wishful thinking.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, good question.. it was off a bit but not very much. Just a little late.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts