Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left cylinder has developed a little ‘cough’ when I start her up cold.
So I figured, no prb, I have that sweet Dyna ignition in there, It should be easy to make sure my timing is dead on… ;)
Well when I put the strobe on it I get two slightly different LF spots showing up. :?
The marks are about the same distance apart as the LF & LT marks are from each other, so it looks like I have three marks, a LF, a LF/LT and a LT.
Checked the right side and get the same double vision thing.
I think one is the ‘wasted spark’ and the other is the real deal.
I don’t remember this happening when I first installed the Dyna… Anyways…
Does this mean my magnets aren’t 180 degrees apart?
Any ideas how to remedy this phenomenon?
I guess I could just move the left pickup so that it fires on one LF mark then the other and see witch one works better… :roll:
But the whole reason I installed an electronic ignition was to eliminate the guess work.
I want to KNOW when the damn thing is firing. :x

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: Dyna ignition - Wastd spark not 180 deg off?

The magnets should be non-adjustable and 'fixed" at 180......Your pick-ups could be at 89 or 91 degrees or so........If , at any time you are not getting an EXACT, on the index LF or F indication, your system is out of time....You MAY have to adjust both the pick-up and the plate to achieve the correct setting........Even the wasted spark should be "in time".......

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

One magnet signals the ignition and the other (180 degs later) is the wasted spark for one cylinder, and opposite magnets for the other cylinder, fixed on the rotor. Correct?
So if I move the left pickup it would change the ignition spark and the wasted spark for the left cylinder the exact same amount.
If I move the plate it would change the wasted spark and the ignition spark on both cylinders the exact same amount.
Right?
I can't figure out how to make the wasted spark match the ignition spark, I don't even know which is which since they seem to appear at the same time with the strobe.
So the only way I could be getting this 'double vision' is if my 'fixed magnets’ somehow got out of whack.
Right? Or do I need another beer...

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

More beer..... To run, you only need ONE magnet as the "points" fire 90 degrees apart then "sit" for 270 degrees (observed at/on the camshaft) ...This would be 180 and the full two crank rotations (720*) observed at the crank (the full FOUR strokes)....There will be "wasted spark" if you have two magnets, but as the crank HAS to rotate 360 to move the 180 off "other" magnet into position (2/1 crank to cam ratio) the piston (and hence the crank index lines) will be in EXACTLY the same orientation (the cam lobe and valve positions are the only differences)...... If you are showing divergent "fire" alignments, your pick-ups are NOT EXACTLY 90 degrees apart......
The magnets can't be moved....The pick-ups can.....

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ok, Sorry Steve, but,
What I am seeing with my strobe is two sets of LF LT marks off set by about 2cm, they are obviously jumping back and forth but it's so fast I can't tell.
Even if I put my pickups 90deg or 100deg apart I would still see this effect. Which leads me to belive my strobe light is junk or my magnets are not (and mabye never were) 180deg exactly...

I believe what you are telling me, I just don't understand what one pickup has to do with the other in this case.

Thanks for bearing with me, I want to understand.

Had another beer and am about to drill out a magnet to eliminate the wasted spark but don't know which one is the wasted one #1, #2, or me... :lol:

BTW, can you get your avatar to jump a little higher? ;)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Whichever magnet is aligned with the left pick-up at LF on the left cylinder compression stroke is the active one......

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I drilled out one magnet, threaded the hole and screwed in a bolt and cut it off flush, (so the rotor wouldn’t be out of balance) and re-painted it. Fired her up and just as I suspected, only fireing on one side... :|

So here’s the scoop...
When I first installed the Dyna ignition I had to switch the wires (left & right) from the ignition to the coils in order to get her to run.... :? I thought I had just mixed them up in the first place... well...
Little did I know, I had the whole ignition plate turned 90* out of whack.
By switching the coil wires I had made the left pickup firing the right cylinder, and vice versa.
I had successfully made magnet #1 the ignition spark for the left cylinder and the wasted spark for the right cylinder and magnet #2 the ignition spark for the right and the wasted spark for the left... :oops:
[attachment=1:2lfm9bmn]IMG_1086.JPG[/attachment:2lfm9bmn]
Unbelievable....

So I rotated the plate 90* and switched the coil wires (had no spark because I had the rotor 180* out so I spun it around) and SHAZAM!
Dialed in the timing with my strobe (no more phantom reading) and I now have a perfectly timed electronic ignition with no wasted spark.
[attachment=0:2lfm9bmn]IMG_1087.JPG[/attachment:2lfm9bmn]

So Steve, I apologize, I did have things so backwards that it actually worked the way I thought it did. Sorry for the confusion, you were right (and so was I in my own screwed up circumstance) …

I can’t believe I had things so backwards it actually ran fine… Lessons learned.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
OK...The important part is it is now timed in and running.....
Are you running with only the one magnet? (for the benefit of other members)
I think you can "lift/space" the pick-ups out with washers to gain the necessary clearance for the "hold-down" bolt's washer to slip in underneath ......(might need slightly longer screws on/for the pick-up coils)

And, you WERE right...You were 270 degrees off...LOL.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
66Sprint said:
Are you running with only the one magnet?
I think you can "lift/space" the pick-ups out with washers to gain the necessary clearance for the "hold-down" bolt's washer to slip in underneath .....
Yup, one magnet. (no more wasted spark) ;)
I ground out slots to allow for the washers... If you add washers, you would need to take more material off the pickups in order for the points cover to go on...

Thanks again Steve... It ended in success! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts