Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

I'm trying to set up the timing on the 450 following complete engine overhaul with a modified GL1000 Dyna unit, but for the life of me I can't work out how to wire up the connections for a static timing test. Reading the various 'how to modify the Dyna' guides, they all seem to suggest dynamically timing it, but my problem is that I can't get the bike to run for long enough to get a strobe gun on it. Either that, or it runs too far advanced on one side or the other, and then dies, so again I can't get an accurate reading. BTW carbs are fine (as in, completely overhauled and set up by the book). And yes, good compression.

I'm guessing there has to be a way of checking it statically, but I seem to be having trouble wiring the unit up in such a way as a test light (like you'd use with conventional points) will go on/off - it's either always on, or always off. I know I'm missing something simple, but what . . .

What am I doing wrong? Or is the signal from the Dyna too weak to gauge with a little test bulb?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
the-chauffeur said:
Folks
What am I doing wrong? Or is the signal from the Dyna too weak to gauge with a little test bulb?

Thanks in advance.
You may have answered your own question.
I'm not sure about the Dyna - I know that even the HondaMan unit, which retains the points, doesn't pass enough current to use a 12 volt indicator bulb to static time.
So it may be entirely possible that the Dyna is the same........

I'm going to get a little 1.5 volt flashlight bulb and wire it up to use the next time I check the timing - maybe that will work.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill

You were right - there's not enough oomph in the Dyna to light up the test bulb. I got busy with a voltmeter earlier today and the reading sits at 0.1v until the magnet passes the pickup, at which point it jumps to 11+. I used the meter to set the pickups, which at least got the bike running. It then responded far better to dynamic timing.

Nearly there now. Just need final tweeks and I'm done.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've seen some electronic ignitions that have a built-in LED for static timing - I assume there's a little circuit to run it, that would work with low currents.
I don't think you get a real clean "blip" on the pickup when you're trying to creep up to the marks while turning the alternator by hand, and that's a problem too.
They seem to work fine with a strobe - though I'm not sure how clean an idle you get with a strobe on a 450.
I really don't think I've ever tried it, just strobe it to see if the advancer is actually working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts